Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Fly Swop - Saltwater III

Quote Originally Posted by chris williams View Post
    Dear Wiets

when not attending business parties
    That is a nice way of putting : being to p*ssed most of the festive season to even see the vice
    I know 'cos I am already in the same boat
    Haven't tied a fly in 10 days
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Don't fall out of the same boat or you'll end up in the Vaal again!

Quote Originally Posted by rols View Post
    i don't want to re-invent the wheel here with some radical pattern. having been involved in the previous ones, i tied a reverse bucktail streamer and a woolhead and silicone mullet for the second one. i think i'll tie a foam popper for this one. all three are flies that have worked for me in CT. is that ok with you guys?
    Sounds good, I'm not to sure what to tie yet, best I check my materials.
    "I'm just a beer drinker with a flyfishing problem"

Default fly swap

Hi Wiets

I am keen for a fly swap. I will be tying a neet variation of a lefty's deceiver.
    I will be using the tried and tested colour combinations, but if anyone would like something specific let me know.

Kind Regards

Richard Wale (Richy Fish-Fingers)

Welcome Richy my boy! Good to see you're finally able to post.

I would like my deceiver sized to 8/0 Gamakatsu tied with red thread and with plenty of holographic flash please
    Last edited by FishWhisperer; 09-11-07 at 02:11 PM.
    Around the steel no tortur'd worm shall twine, No blood of living insect stain my line;
    Let me, less cruel, cast feather'd hook, With pliant rod athwart the pebbled brook,
    Silent along the mazy margin stray, And with fur-wrought fly delude the prey

Wiets Banned User

Participants
    Wiets
    Rory
    Rols
    FishWhisperer
    Honda2
    Richy Fish-Fingers

I must admit I'm a bit stumped as to what to tie Anyone looking for anything specific? I was thinking of tying a Wobbler shrimp? Or a sili-leg charlie?

Quote Originally Posted by rory View Post
    I must admit I'm a bit stumped as to what to tie Anyone looking for anything specific? I was thinking of tying a Wobbler shrimp? Or a sili-leg charlie?
    Wobbler Shrimp?? Sounds pretty cool!

Rory, I gotta ask, how do you get the nose/tip/point of those candies right like that?? Do you tie the Mylar in facing away from the hook and then fold it back over a built up body? If so, then is the thread (on the nose) just there fore the whole cone shape or are you putting it there just to tie in the flash that goes over the top of the body? And what do you use to fill the body/tube?
    Last edited by FishWhisperer; 09-11-07 at 02:09 PM.
    Around the steel no tortur'd worm shall twine, No blood of living insect stain my line;
    Let me, less cruel, cast feather'd hook, With pliant rod athwart the pebbled brook,
    Silent along the mazy margin stray, And with fur-wrought fly delude the prey

Quote Originally Posted by FishWhisperer View Post
    I'll see if I've still got one and post a pic on monday.

Quote Originally Posted by FishWhisperer View Post

Rory, I gotta ask, how do you get the nose/tip/point of those candies right like that?? Do you tie the Mylar in facing away from the hook and then fold it back over a built up body? If so, then is the thread (on the nose) just there fore the whole cone shape or are you putting it there just to tie in the flash that goes over the top of the body? And what do you use to fill the body/tube?
    I think the trick with candies is to never apply the epoxy in one go. Those ones I tied for the swap have got three coats! The mylar is precut to slightly longer than the shank, and placed over the shank like a condom! (If that doesn't get a response from OMR then nothing will )then its tied off behind the eye. I then pulled the mylar tight and tied it off using a whip finish above the barb.(thats the tricky bit!) The excess bits of mylar that stick out from the front and back are then cut off. So hopefully the thread on the nose can perform all the functions you mentioned - body, flash and shape. The body is thread first, thick lead wrapped in and then thread again. On top of that went the zonkers, fur trimmed off. Doesn't have to be neat cos the mylar hides it all. Use a small a blob of epoxy and really work it into the materials. Then the mylar and flash. Another small epoxy blob worked in to keep everthing in the right place. Tie in the lateral line flash, stick on the eyes which should all adhere to the epoxy. Coat with a big blob of epoxy and let your roatary vice do the rest!
    Hell that took long I need to learn to type faster!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.