Thread: Cleaning bucktail

Wiets Banned User

Default Cleaning bucktail

I recently received over 500+ dried and salted but unclean "White Deertail" bucktails. We had to remove the dried blood and fat from the skin - the dirt within the hair itself. You will be surprised to see the amount of fat that these uncleaned bucktails can have. This is what we did;

The bucktails were stiff and we could easily remove the bulk of the fat by cutting or scraping it off. However, there were still lots of remaining fat and oily tissue on the tails - the tails will start rotting unless it is completely removed. We filled containers with water and added Sunlight liquid - we made a strong solution using 2 tables spoons of Sunlight Liquid for every 1 liter of water. The bucktails were then added to this solution and soaked it for 1 day. We place weights on top of the bucktails to ensure that it is submerged at all times. The solution was stirred often to allow fresh water/soap solution to come in contact with the skin, fat, blood and hair.

At the end of the first day, the bucktail were quite soft and pliable. A fatty scumline formed on top of the water so we prepared a fresh solution and the bucktails were submerged for another day. During this period, we repeatedly combed each bucktail whilst still in the water getting rid of dirt within the hair. It is normal for quite a bit of hair to fall out. At the end of day 2, we repeatedly rinsed the bucktail to get rid of the soapy solution. We then used old tablespoons and started scraping the skin to removed the remaining fat, tissues and other unwanted sinews from the skin. This is a labour thing and we hired casual labour at a cost of R1.00 for every cleaned bucktail. We inspected each bucktailk to ensure that the cleaning "standards" were maintained - needless to say, they took chances and several of the bucktails were not cleaned properly and had to be redone.

The cleaned bucktails were then submerged into containers containing fresh water and "Sta-Soft". After about 3 to 5 hours of occasional stirring, the bucktails were removed, pressed between old towels/cloths to remove the excess water, Borax was rubbed onto the skins and finally hung up to dry. This attracted a lot of flies and my wife packed me a suitcase, told me to take my bucktails, "take your pie and waai" and not to ever come back.

A quick trip to the shop for flowers, chocalates and other soppy stuff made her reconsider. The solution came when our gardener said that flies are "scared" of the dark. We then completely blackened the storeroom by sticking black plastic (rubbish bags) over the windows and this sorted out the flies entirely.

With a fan running 24 x 7 resulted in completely dry bucktails, no different to the ones that you will buy in fly tying shops - at a fraction of the cost! Total cost per bucktail including all expenses (materials cost, permits, postage, import duty, VAT, Sunlight liquid, Sta-Soft, Borax, plastic bags, electricity and all labour = R11.57

I have sinced received heaps of dye and will soon start dyeing the bucktails together with lots of other materials I have. When all said and done, I hope to have matching colours across the entire material spectrum.

I hope this is useful to somebody

Default buck tail

Hello Wiets,
    Having only just picked up on your offer of Buck tail, I would be interested in getting some if and when you have supplies.(white and colours)
    I can collect from Kilarney Gardens. Please let me know the costs etc.
    Thanks.
    regards,
    Charles Thomas

Are they for sale. I would like to get hold of sime white ones from Kilarney gardens.

Thank in advance

Jason

Default Weits -Unclaimed bucktails

Good-day

Do you have any unclaimed bucktails (2-4) that I can buy from you?

Anton PE

HI Wiets,

Did you add in the flowers and other soppy stuffs prices to. Not bad price being under R12.00.

Dave
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Great tip, Wiets!

I stuck black rubbish bags over my bedroom window and it not only put the flies off, but also, bonus points, I couldn't see my wife this morning when I woke up to go fishing!
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

Just remeber, you will need her someday! So be nice, or...
    http://imagechan.net/img/5659/Women/

What's even worse than the topic of the lad from Genoa, is a pop-up saying one of your buddies from Parow has a crush on you!
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

Hi Wiets interesting I recently got some bucktail (well known brand) and it's got big chunks of fat still attached to it. did not know it would rot though... sif, anyway.
    I tried dying some white bucktail with no success - what dye can one use for this? I just got normal hot clothing dye (Lady Dye) instead of red I only got something that might get confused with light orange.

Wiets Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by will101 View Post
    Hi Wiets interesting I recently got some bucktail (well known brand) and it's got big chunks of fat still attached to it. did not know it would rot though... sif, anyway. I tried dying some white bucktail with no success - what dye can one use for this? I just got normal hot clothing dye (Lady Dye) instead of red I only got something that might get confused with light orange.
    There are various other dyes you can use; Veniards, Rit, Fly Dye, Jacquards, etc. Some guys also use Kool Aid but I have no idea on the outcome. AK Best' book shares lots of detail on dyeing fly tying materials. Also see this link for other opinions and links to dye suppliers; http://www.classicflytying.com/index...howtopic=32665

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.