View Poll Results: Are anatomically correct profiles a key trigger ?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hell yes !

11 42.31%
  • Not to the point that I'd change my current way of tying.

13 50.00%
  • I couldn't be bothered, a fly is a fly, is a fly.

1 3.85%
  • What's a profile ?

0 0%
  • What's a nymph ?

1 3.85%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Mayfly Nymph Profiles

Question Mayfly Nymph Profiles

Howdy fellows,

Though tying semi realistic caddis immitations or big fat wooly buggers/streamers is a blast, I am at heart a big fan of tying nymphs, typically I like to try and tie them as 'realistic' or 'immitatively' as possible.

Now for years I have seen it writ that we tie our nymphs with an incorrect profile, which is clear if you compare our usual offerings with what it to be found under the rocks. Especially guys like Garth Wellman seem to think that correct profile is as much a trigger as is size and colouration, irrespective of water conditions.

My question by way of poll is this:

Do you chaps think that nymph profile is a key trigger and, do you actively try to tie the flattened down wider bodied nymphs ?

I'd also like to hear from those of you who do, which techniques you employ to build the flattened body be it moulded underbody lead, thread wraps, under body mono, extended bodies, etc.

TIA,
    Last edited by Scythe; 12-11-07 at 07:56 AM.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Yes, if the water is clear and the current slow. No, if the current is fast and water a bit murky. I saw some small scalles in the Blaauwbank a while ago. The water was a bit murky. What the fish did was very interresting, they where "tasting" everything that moved past them. Whether it was a little twig or blade of grass, they went up to it, sucked it in and spat it out emediatly if it did not "taste" like food.

The profile is never going to be flat like the insects...

I find the trick is to have a taper correct.

These are next to a 14# ZAK, they are flat, and as soon as the floated in water, they bent their backs to create a "C". I am now tying more ZAK's on bent or scud hooks, and they are proving to be very effective.

Mike
    Mike McKeown

You're either fishing or waiting...

Scythe, if you want them flat, try this. Wrap a scud with 1mm lead wire. Then take the long nose pliers and "press the lead flat. Be carefull not to press to hard, all you is a oval shape. I then smear it with a little bit of epoxy to make a nice foundation to ty on. It's not 100% flat but it does make a more natural body.

Or.............

You could use flat lead, or lead tape!
    Daryl Human

The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

Howzit Mike,

Thanks, noted that also, been tying my nymphs only on caddis/scud hooks for at least the last 9 months now and it definately does make a difference ito realism and also ito a bettter fly as you get at least a 100% larger gape for the same fly size.

The only exception I have seen is when you've got a movement of swimming nymphs, they swim with their bodies pretty straight out in a side to side wriggling motion, at least, that is what I have seen the grand total of 3 times I've seen swimming nymphs on the Vaal.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Yes you could Dizzy, but I dont like it. My oppinion.

Sorry lads,

I accidently clicked on "what's a nymphs"

I would go for the first 2 though.

I've tied a few #16 Zak's yesterday......on curved hooks. Looks good!