Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Stroft vs Rio

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    In my opinion R45 is very fair for Stroft.
    Slighly expensive i.m.o.
    I get 50m spools for NZ$8.95 here, that works out at approx R45 for a 50m spool - vs R45 for a 25m spool in SA.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Elliott View Post
    Slighly expensive i.m.o.
    I get 50m spools for NZ$8.95 here, that works out at approx R45 for a 50m spool - vs R45 for a 25m spool in SA.
    a Sage Z-Axis 5wt 9foot rod you can pick up in the States for $595.00...that's R 3,980.00. BUT...they are priced in the shops here at R 5,500.00.
    Yes you could bargain a better price, but then you can do that in the States too.
    You cannot take a straight conversion...I mean convert a car from there to here, and we are also paying a lot more. We pay less in other area's...real estate, food, drink, etc etc...

We pay R80 for a 500g of prime rump steak grilled to perfection...what do you pay? (I know the guys in England and the States pay a lot more).

Over here...R 45 for 25m of Stroft is not bad at all...considering the other brands of tippet here is not much less...and the Stroft is definitely superior, by far.

By the way, this is just my humble opinion, having used the Stroft some years back, and now again on two recent outings and really found it to be superior to anything else on the market. I'm not affiliated to GGY or anything like that, I just genuinly think it's a great product. I've been flyfishing since age 6...I've used most brands of tippet, and even tried most mono substitutes like Siglon, Diamond Araty, Double X Platinum,...you name it. If you pay R10 or so more for Stroft tippet...but it's much thinner than anything else out there with the same breaking strain, to me it's a bargain.

Mike, i agree that my comparisons of prices in different countries are not fair, but I certainly won't be rushing out to stock up on Stroft while in SA, because to me it is not a good buy. Now those rump steaks on the other hand......

Stroft is usually about the same price as other top of the range brands in NZ, although some special deals at the moment mean that it is slightly cheaper. The 50m spools are particularly well priced.

And I can agree that Stroft GTM is top stuff, probably the best I have used based on 3 fishing days with it so far.

How much steak do you attach to a size 8 black and red Matuka?

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    The thinner mono will still give you better, more sensitive feel, as the thin line will not be "blunted" by the water.
    If you're Czech nymphing is, more in the classic sense, where you use the fly line as the indicator, even the most subtle of takes, will register on the tip of the fly line in the form of some movement in which ever direction.
    After a lenthy discussion with Mark Yelland, from the Flyshop, he is sure that there is a lot to be said for Czech nymphing with thinner, softer leader material.
    Be careful how you phrase this as mono is substantially less dense than fluoro and it also absorbs water making it stretch and as such it will always have less "feel" than fluoro of a comparitive diameter.

Personally I dont quite understand how someone can say a softer line offers abrasion resistance benefits, but I might be missing something? One of the main advantages of fluoro is its abrasion resistance due to its being much "harder". Bass jockeys have done loads of testing in this department and mono is far less abrasion resistant when wet. While the stretch of wet mono might inhibit feel and knot strength it certainly has its benefits when fish take aggresively or while fighting fish.

I'm still dead keen to give the stroft a go though and will definitely purchase a spool or two soon.
    Check your knots!

Wink

GGY, there's a very fine line between those codes. There are a few codes pointing to monofilament. Sec 3916, Sec 5404, Sec 5405.........ex. The problem is that 3916 is only for line 1mm and thicker and other point more in the direction of "thread" (man-made filaments). There's a diffirence between line and thread. It's purpose is to fish with, therefor you could argue it to go to code 9507. Yes, customs can be very itchy about this as they could lose out on certain duties. The best is to get a "ruling" if you are looking at importing these spools commercial. A ruling means that you (the importer) and Customs agree on paper to use prefured (agreed upon) code (tariff heading), but........you need to apply for this.

Quote Originally Posted by C J View Post
    GGY, there's a very fine line between those codes. There are a few codes pointing to monofilament. Sec 3916, Sec 5404, Sec 5405.........ex. The problem is that 3916 is only for line 1mm and thicker and other point more in the direction of "thread" (man-made filaments). There's a diffirence between line and thread. It's purpose is to fish with, therefor you could argue it to go to code 9507. Yes, customs can be very itchy about this as they could lose out on certain duties. The best is to get a "ruling" if you are looking at importing these spools commercial. A ruling means that you (the importer) and Customs agree on paper to use prefured (agreed upon) code (tariff heading), but........you need to apply for this.
    Interesting Colin!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by gerrit View Post
    Interesting Colin!!!!
    Really? I must be missing something....

Quote Originally Posted by jock0 View Post
    Be careful how you phrase this as mono is substantially less dense than fluoro and it also absorbs water making it stretch and as such it will always have less "feel" than fluoro of a comparitive diameter.

I'm still dead keen to give the stroft a go though and will definitely purchase a spool or two soon.
    FOR INFORMATION PURPOSES:

STROFT GTM is specifically designed to have a high wet knot strength.

Stroft GTM goes through a multi-leveled tempering (supplementary heat treatment) process. Thus the abbreviation
    GTM ("Getempertes Monofil": tempered monofilament). At the same time, a sealing and compression of the surface takes place by a diffusion of silicon and PTFE (Teflon) molecules. This substantially reduces water absorption, as well as improves wet knot strength.

Dry knot strength 114 kg/mm2. Dry knot strength 105 kg/mm2 (96% of dry. Line diameter 0.25 mm)
    Water absorption = 6 % (Line diameter 0.25 mm, suspension in water 1 h, water temperature 20° C)

Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast