Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Tungsten Beads

Quote Originally Posted by gerrit View Post
    Bead Swop

I've got (40) 4mm fluo orange t beads and no use for it.

Anyone wants to swop with me in exchange for gold 4mm?

Alternatively,R75 for the lot.

Please pm me if interested.
    Hi Gerrit, I'm still on for this, please let me know if we can meet up before Christmas somewhere? Maybe have a mini-Stithians Flyfishers bash provided we seriously have designated drivers?

Reading all this I am wondering, how sure r u guys it was tungsten, could be lead or brass beads, both heavy tipes of beads but not quite tungsten, I know exactly what their import prices are and it is difficult to import them at some of the prices quoted, let me know where I can find them
    PK

I am haunted by waters - Norman Maclean

Ja Pieter, I hope these guys weren't being ripped off with lead being advertised as 'tungsten'? In any event I'll take Gerrit's lot off him as agreed, as I'm 100 pct sure he bought this batch in good faith! I find with most of the lead beadheads bought either painted or self-painted, they take a pounding on the rocks when Vaaling and I need to 'touch them up', so to speak, after a trip or two.

Going off on a tangent and as an aside, I know lead split shot is the subject of much contention when used as such, with e.g. swans on the Thames eating them having mistaken them for small mussels, snails, hempseed or whaever.

Does anyone have any stats on the 'poison' rating of lead as shot, or as wire underbody etc? I know there's a whole load of stuff on EEC websites, but I want something wholly objective which is non-bunnyhugging, equally non-selfishfisher 'I'm alright Jack'? Would it be only the threatened poisoning of birds/fish with the direct inhalation or it is also the 'leaching' of lost flies/shot in the water?

Maybe MC, GGY, etc., can assist in this regard? I'll happily not use lead wire or lead beadheads in the future if it it really a proven contaminant. Split shot I have already stopped using years ago in it's purely attach-to-line/leader role from my Thames mates' info.

Quote Originally Posted by chris williams View Post
    Ja Pieter, I hope these guys weren't being ripped off with lead being advertised as 'tungsten'? In any event I'll take Gerrit's lot off him as agreed, as I'm 100 pct sure he bought this batch in good faith! I find with most of the lead beadheads bought either painted or self-painted, they take a pounding on the rocks when Vaaling and I need to 'touch them up', so to speak, after a trip or two.

Going off on a tangent and as an aside, I know lead split shot is the subject of much contention when used as such, with e.g. swans on the Thames eating them having mistaken them for small mussels, snails, hempseed or whaever.

Does anyone have any stats on the 'poison' rating of lead as shot, or as wire underbody etc? I know there's a whole load of stuff on EEC websites, but I want something wholly objective which is non-bunnyhugging, equally non-selfishfisher 'I'm alright Jack'? Would it be only the threatened poisoning of birds/fish with the direct inhalation or it is also the 'leaching' of lost flies/shot in the water?

Maybe MC, GGY, etc., can assist in this regard? I'll happily not use lead wire or lead beadheads in the future if it it really a proven contaminant. Split shot I have already stopped using years ago in it's purely attach-to-line/leader role from my Thames mates' info.
    Hi there,

I was there Saturday Uncle Chris,I didn't quite understand your pm to be honest but have to admit I only browsed at it for 2-3s before I left for the Vaal.

No probs,we can still do the bead thing before Christmas or whenever for that matter.Can't say when I'm hitting the Vaal again though. Maybe 16 December.

Ps.Thanx for the vote in confidance but also you r more than welcome to inspect the beads before u decide if u want them or not as some folks seem to think/know beads that r sold as Tungsten r fake.

Just because it's from China doesn't mean it's fake or cheap crap.

Buy
    G

Hi, Gerrit, Ming vases also come from China and nothing wrong with them! I've yet to flycast one though, but having seen Mike N's rods perform a moment ago on BIG kurper at our local dam, maybe they stand a chance!

No probs, we made a deal and I'll take them - can meet up Thursday or Friday somewhere mutually convenient, or hold off till the New year? No probs either way, pls PM me!

Cheers, Chris

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3