Thread: Good spots in Mpumalanga

Default Good spots in Mpumalanga

I'm keen on making a trip up to Mpumalanga sometime next year..I'm looking to catch species other than trout...Does any body know any great rivers/dams with unusual species that could be caught on fly? I know Mpumalanga has tigerfish, mudfish, yellows, some kurper we don't get in KZN and other freshwater species..Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Regards

Paul

I know that the Nkomati river at Komatipoort has tigerfish, kurper and papierbek ( yellowfish.) There are guides available but at what cost I don't know. The Komati River Chalets advertise in STywe Lyne, they should be able to give you more info.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Thanks Herman, i was looking at making it as budget as possible though..I've been studying this year so funds are low
    I haven't caught papermouth yet...
    There was another fish called chiselmouth that looks kind of like a yellowfish cross mudfish/labeo..look nice on fly!

Yup, the chiselmouth is a member of the yellowfish family and reputedly one of the hardest ones to catch on fly.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

that's the challenge of fly fishing that really gets me interested! I'm keen to get one of those now to add to the list! Do you know anyone who's caught one?

Hi there Paul

I caught one in about 1994 when I fished with Horst Filter on one of the rivers that he has access to. Unfortunately I have no pictures, but if I remember correctly, it looked just like the Smallscale Yellows with a kind of flattened Mudfish nose. The difference is quite obvious.

Maybe give Paul van Vuuren a call in Lydenburg. He is one of the owners the fly shop there and he is quite keen on fishing for alternative species. His number is Cell 082 323 4405. Paul is one of my oldest friends and we started fly fishing together by practising our casting in my parents' driveway back in 1988.

Another option is to contact Arno Laubser in Nelspruit. He is the owner of Grip hooks and he also used to guide on the Komati River. You should find his number at any fly shop.

Hope this helps.

MC

Quote Originally Posted by MCC View Post
    Hi there Paul

I caught one in about 1994 when I fished with Horst Filter on one of the rivers that he has access to. Unfortunately I have no pictures, but if I remember correctly, it looked just like the Smallscale Yellows with a kind of flattened Mudfish nose. The difference is quite obvious.

Maybe give Paul van Vuuren a call in Lydenburg. He is one of the owners the fly shop there and he is quite keen on fishing for alternative species. His number is Cell 082 323 4405. Paul is one of my oldest friends and we started fly fishing together by practising our casting in my parents' driveway back in 1988.

Another option is to contact Arno Laubser in Nelspruit. He is the owner of Grip hooks and he also used to guide on the Komati River. You should find his number at any fly shop.

Hope this helps.

MC

Thanks MC, really useful info! Have a good day.
    Regards

Paul