Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Baby ostrich 'fur'

They say that a baby ostrich's favorite pastime is dying- so now shortage of raw material

KFO

"Kentucky Fried Ostrich"

Free feathers with that meal!

I just spoke to a guy at one of the Oudtshoorn Co-ops, he says that the stillborn chicks are usually fed to the pigs. He suggests that we make friends with the actual farmers.

I must tell you, these feathers are absolutely brilliant, kinda spear like in shape, like blades af fine grass. This is the stage just before they become actual feathers. A local ostrich farm sells the developed baby ostrich feathers of 5cm long for R1 each. What we want is the stage before that, which I very much doubt they have found a market for yet....hence pig fodder

Wiets, where are you mate?
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Hmmm v nice pattern. A few wraps of Natural CDC around the shank and I think you got a winner there.... Hmmm...
    Around the steel no tortur'd worm shall twine, No blood of living insect stain my line;
    Let me, less cruel, cast feather'd hook, With pliant rod athwart the pebbled brook,
    Silent along the mazy margin stray, And with fur-wrought fly delude the prey

ag, was really just an off the cuff fly to see how the material holds up. No pre thought at all. I'm sure it will catch a fish though
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Sweet - I know of an Ostrich farm that I'm going past on my way down to the EC in december. I see if there are any dead birds lying around when i'm there... I see if I can convince the farmer that he dosn't need to keep them for the pigs.

Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    I see if there are any dead birds lying around when i'm there...
    :s sies!!
    Around the steel no tortur'd worm shall twine, No blood of living insect stain my line;
    Let me, less cruel, cast feather'd hook, With pliant rod athwart the pebbled brook,

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    ag, was really just an off the cuff fly to see how the material holds up. No pre thought at all. I'm sure it will catch a fish though
    I like it. What is the 'fur' like? Is it stiff like deer hair or soft like the herl??

Quote Originally Posted by FishWhisperer View Post
    I like it. What is the 'fur' like? Is it stiff like deer hair or soft like the herl??
    The individual spears from the back area are pretty durable actually, not overly stiff, and also not too soft. What is quite nice is that some are curved and others straight. The curved spears keep their shape quite nicely and are perfect for upturned tails, as you can see by the double upturned tail in my little experimental fly. The finer spears around the bum area are softer
    Last edited by Chris Shelton; 22-11-07 at 04:04 PM.

I just spoke to the owner of the Westcoast ostrich farm. He says they also discard the stillborn chicks. He will give me a call when he has another batch of dead chicks and we can "work a plan"....whatever that means.

Ideally one would want to have them skinned and the pelts tanned or cured. There is a tannery in Wellington. I'll definitely be looking into this a bit more and then we can see what interest there is once I have all the costs for processing.

Apparently there is a ostrich farm close to Cape Point. You Southern suburbs guys should give them a call.
    Last edited by Chris Shelton; 22-11-07 at 04:03 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2