Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Redbait Flies

Default Redbait Flies

Hi
    I've just been thinking- we concentrate a lot on tying fish and shrimp immitations, but there are other forms of food in the sea.
    I know most guys are after gamefish, but i would like to target seabreams in gullies with my 5Wt this holiday.
    I have come up with an orange and red marabou fly that is quite heavily weighted for the white water. It looks just like a loose bit of redbait. I'm sure no strepie or blacktail would pass up an opportunity to feed on redbait that has been dislodged by waves or the feeding of a big cracker...

Do any of you regularly target smaller gully species? Guys here at Rhodes have taken BIG bronze bream on fly, just not sure what fly they used. And i'm sure blacktail will fight like hell on my 5WT.

I used to catch blacktail on small Crazy Charlies (the inverted hook means fewer hookups on the rocks). I personally havn't tried 'redbait' colour 'trigger' type flies but I know they do work rathe ron the same principle orange Whisky flies are dood in a freshwater daphnia bloom. Maybe a red weighted Crazy Charlie?

Many people recommend a heavily weighted red fly for gully species. I am going to give it a try myself this December.

Come on the holidays!

Yeah, a charlie is a good idea. I also like the way the marabou pulsates- to me that must be how a piece of redbait must move...
    I haven't done much saltwater fishing, and if any fish eats the charlies i have in my hand now, then i'll know that saltwater fish must be as Psycho as bluegills...

Because they look nothing like anything i've ever seen in the sea.

If little green Martians were to land in the sea, they wouldn't have much chance
    of surviving on our planet, being chartreuse green.....

I'd advise orange over red if you trying to imitate redbait....as its orange, not actually red.... But thats only when you cut it open,.... the actual redbait pods are brown blobs...

I guess a few red and a few orange would do you well as a selection...
    *** TO RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT AND SPEAK THE TRUTH ***

Some people are like Slinkies.... Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson

Well mine is red AND orange, all in one!!!

Quote Originally Posted by clarias View Post
    Well mine is red AND orange, all in one!!!
    Puuuuuuuuuuuuuurfect!!! I'm sure it'll slay them then!!!
    *** TO RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT AND SPEAK THE TRUTH ***

Some people are like Slinkies.... Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson

Maybe Scythe or whover can dye your hair orange and red (after your exams..) and scythe/cut it and tie up a few hundred Charlies for you?

Don't worry my hair used to be longer than yours, when I had any, and before I had to make a summary court appearance for disturbing the peace ('twas many years ago!)

Have you fished much in our SA gullies (something of a different story to Cosmo i bet!)?
    I'm not sure if i'm even going to manage with the rough water in the Transkei, but i'll take my tying stuff along in case i need really heavy flies....

Many time, sort of like poor man's rock hopping, but great fun, especially round the low tides when you can fish in the nooks/crannies and even deeper rockpools with less of a threat of being washed out to sea! The fish aren't always big but it's really interesting, creative stuff and sometimes you need to stalk like you do on your Cape streams! But experiencing is believing! I once sh@t myself fishing with a little 4 wt for karanteen and moonies in an Umhlanga rockpool when I hookes a damn Moray eel lurking under a ledge in about a foot of water! Luckily it bit thru my nylon leader after about ten seconds, but I had to sit down in the pool and release some of the bodily matter that had collected in the back of my baggies..

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast