Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New Vice

Default New Vice

Check this:

http://www.fly-wheel.net/rotation.htm

Not sure what I make of it myself...
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Hmmmmmm......I would like to see it working. Im not convinced that it would do anything quicker and easier than the traditional method with a good hackle pliers in the hands of a well practiced tier.

Agreed, why not just learn to tie a parachute properly ?
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

I agree !

Just another gimmick trying to imply that the relatively simple task of tying a parachute type fly is actually a pretty difficult task and only do-able by experienced tyers......unless of course you have this latest gizmo.
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

I ask this question having never tied before so please excuse my ignorance...would a gizzmo like this not help you tie tighter,more uniformly and create a more consistant fly or in the bigger scheme of things is that not t overly important.
    I think no innocent species of wit or pleasantry should be suppressed; and that a good pun may be admitted among the smaller excellencies of lively conversation.
    James Boswell.

[T]his planet is covered with sordid men who demand that he who spends time fishing shall show returns in fish. ~Leonidas Hubbard, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
    I ask this question having never tied before so please excuse my ignorance...would a gizzmo like this not help you tie tighter,more uniformly and create a more consistant fly or in the bigger scheme of things is that not t overly important.
    Good question Nic, but all of this you can achieve by selecting the correct size hackle for the fly you are tying, and tying it with reasonable concentration, rule of thumb, one and a half times the width of the hook gape. This you would have to do with or without the gizmo. No rocker science really.
    I am by no means a great dry fly tyer, but the basics apply regardless of the tool. I would like to hear a comment from Leonard on this gizmo.

Same goes for me. I'm just a beginner at tying as well.

They first started tying flies with there fingers and some silk and hackle, then
    came the vice, then the rotational vice. Need a good thread base voila, a few turns of the vice and you have a good foundation of thread to start the fly on. (traditional way worked ok as well and come on its not that hard)
    I think over time and a few modifications and improvements this gizmo might have a future. Need some hackle or even some deer hair spun few turns and voila.

I think the idea behind it is quite good why not have a vice that rotates both ways horizontal and vertical we all benefited from the one why not both
    Last edited by Deneys; 25-11-07 at 10:31 PM.
    NOTICE :

If you notice this notice you will notice that this notice
    is not worth noticing thank you for
    NOTICING

Quote Originally Posted by Deneys View Post
    Same goes for me. I'm just a beginner at tying as well.

They first started tying flies with there fingers and some silk and hackle, then
    came the vice, then the rotational vice. Need a good thread base voila, a few turns of the vice and you have a good foundation of thread to start the fly on. (traditional way worked ok as well)
    I think over time and a few modifications and improvements this gizmo might have a future. Need some hackle or even some deer hair spun few turns and voila.

I think the idea behind it is quite good why not have a vice that rotates both ways horizontal and vertical we all benefited from the one why not both
    First 'they' robbed us of our brains by replacing them with computers..........and now 'they' are trying to do away with our hands aswell
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

First 'they' robbed us of our brains with computers..........and now 'they' are trying to do away with our hands aswell
    I dont think its the brains they robbing but our time

the world is a fast play ground
    Last edited by Deneys; 25-11-07 at 10:38 PM.
    NOTICE :

If you notice this notice you will notice that this notice
    is not worth noticing thank you for
    NOTICING

Nah they are taking away our touch, which is much more important for our fly tying.
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast