Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Vaal River Condition

Default Vaal River Condition

Hi ,
    I have been hearing some news via the grapevine that waders are becoming a must when fishing in the Parys area due to pollution in the river. Is this true? Who has been fishing there the past month? I was in the Klerksdorp area a month ago and the river looked clean. I do not have waders, but will buy some this week seeing that I am going there this weekend.

Some advice to all. Get your files DOWN. I am really a novice at yellow, but this advice is one to listen to. On our trip to Klerksdorp it meant the difference of catching one or two fish (my buddies) during a days fishing vs. landing 10, not to mention losing 5 due to some freight trains scampering up stream with no way of stopping them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Max View Post
    Hi ,
    I have been hearing some news via the grapevine that waders are becoming a must when fishing in the Parys area due to pollution in the river. Is this true? Who has been fishing there the past month? I was in the Klerksdorp area a month ago and the river looked clean. I do not have waders, but will buy some this week seeing that I am going there this weekend.

Some advice to all. Get your files DOWN. I am really a novice at yellow, but this advice is one to listen to. On our trip to Klerksdorp it meant the difference of catching one or two fish (my buddies) during a days fishing vs. landing 10, not to mention losing 5 due to some freight trains scampering up stream with no way of stopping them.
    Get your self a good pair of waders......that river is never clean! You might think it is, but it's not! By the way, you could use the wader to stalk other spesies a well.

A wader is not the ultimate source of prevention for Hepatitis A & B. Remember that you sometimes hook yourself or bruise yourself while on the river - hell sometimes you would find yourself holding the line in your mouth while searching for a fly or tying on a fresh tippet. All of these types of activity can cause one to get infected. I would strongly recommend that all the guys fishing the Vaal get their Hepatitis shots (2 ) - makes one safe for up to 15 years! I enjoy wet wading + it is a lot cooler during the hot summer days. If I however have an open wound I avoid wading at all or I will make use of waders. I think a lot of people don't realise how serious this disease really is...
    No PAIN No Gain

Quote Originally Posted by Nymph+O- View Post
    A wader is not the ultimate source of prevention for Hepatitis A & B. Remember that you sometimes hook yourself or bruise yourself while on the river - hell sometimes you would find yourself holding the line in your mouth while searching for a fly or tying on a fresh tippet. All of these types of activity can cause one to get infected. I would strongly recommend that all the guys fishing the Vaal get their Hepatitis shots (2 ) - makes one safe for up to 15 years! I enjoy wet wading + it is a lot cooler during the hot summer days. If I however have an open wound I avoid wading at all or I will make use of waders. I think a lot of people don't realise how serious this disease really is...
    Agreed. I have only used waders twice and would prefer wet wading and besides, who doesnt fall in the vaal - aka the vaal river shuffel
    The best day to go fishing is any day that ends in a "y"

Talking about river conditions, i was bitten three times by what seemed like flies, Now 24 hours later it itches like hell. Does anyone know the name of this type of fly and could one apply some kind of insecticide to prevent this kind of onslaught in the future?

PS….Is this the same fly that spread the Tsetse fly epidemic?

It sounds like Blackflies and Killer Midges. Both can be nuisance on the Vaal. Sunblock works a treat for Midges, much better than peaceful sleep! Blackflies - no remedy.
    No PAIN No Gain

Quote Originally Posted by Reinier View Post
    Talking about river conditions, i was bitten three times by what seemed like flies, Now 24 hours later it itches like hell. Does anyone know the name of this type of fly and could one apply some kind of insecticide to prevent this kind of onslaught in the future?

PS….Is this the same fly that spread the Tsetse fly epidemic?
    Black flies - particularly cos you were wearing a blue shirt yesterday. Use Stop Itch you can get it at a pharmacy and it takes the itch out. They are a million times worse than mozzie bites.

Black flies...

Prevention is better than cure......

Long pants work
    The best day to go fishing is any day that ends in a "y"

Quote Originally Posted by C J View Post
    Get your self a good pair of waders......that river is never clean! You might think it is, but it's not! By the way, you could use the wader to stalk other spesies a well.
    So where did u guys go?

Their freaking annoying!! even when your casting, they'll just stay attached to your arm. The only way to get rid of them is to give them a swat, but by that time they've already given you the bite and its too late. A small price to pay when visiting the Vaal.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast