Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: What sets good Czech nymphers aside?

Quote Originally Posted by FIGJAM View Post
    C.S
    Come spend some time with me and I will enlighten you to C.N
    How and Why and what flies. You will learn more from W.P F.F than
    from a bunch of 1 dimensional Vaal F.F who can only fish the Vaal and do only what the other guy next to him is doing.

There are many ways to skin a yellow and I will be happy to show you. You have an advantage to those toppers.. you can fish a crystal clear Cape stream.
    That is an offer that I will gladly accept Leonard, thanks. I'd love to give it a bash. It is a pity I was not in touch with this kind of fishing 10 years ago when I did the first of many Orange river 4x4 trips. I never caught a damn thing and would usually give up after an hour of trying.
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    Firstly i'll say this, I have never Czech nymphed in my life yet, so please forgive me if my question sounds dumb or naive, but from what I have heard about Czech nymphing, it sounds pretty unchallenging to me.

I doubt if bouncing one's fly on the bottom at rod tip distance in a 360 degree arc all around you is all there is to it, but if it is, surely this is something anyone can do with their eyes closed? Where does the skill come in? Is there such a thing as a good or bad Czech nympher? If there is, then what set's you guys apart?

Please enlighten me guys!
    When the fish are feeding actively, CN is very simple.
    It is when they are not and you have to tease, coax, convince, flumox a fish to try and nibble or mouth a fly, detect a single take, in water where you can't see the fish and without knowing if there is a fish and set the hook.

C.S
    from a bunch of 1 dimensional Vaal F.F who can only fish the Vaal and do only what the other guy next to him is doing.

There are many ways to skin a yellow and I will be happy to show you. You have an advantage to those toppers.. you can fish a crystal clear Cape stream.
    as they say in Afrikaans" Ja-nee, maar stadig oor die klippe"

Suppose it depends on the angler, if catching fish is your thing I suppose you would prefer a technique that makes you catch more fish asier/quicker/more, if it’s just to get outdoors and experience nature by fishing, I recon the amount of fish won’t be that important. But at the end of the day I am still convinced that all Fly fishing people enjoy the challenge of getting fish – else they will rather be sitting on the bank on a comfy camping chair with a cold one next to the big papgooi rig using all kinds of smelly things made to attract the fish to “them” and not rather you go looking for the fish like we do, I am under the impression that some carp rigs even hook the fish automatically, you don’t need to even strike, but I stand corrected on that one.

Also I must admit that CZ in very slow deep pools unreachable by wading proofs too difficult to me, so I normally resort back to longer lines with strike indicators.
    No one does it smaller then me!

[
    Also I must admit that CZ in very slow deep pools unreachable by wading proofs too difficult to me, so I normally resort back to longer lines with strike indicators.[/QUOTE]

try the following; reduce the weight on your nymphs, the weight should be just light enough not to drag the tip of your fly line under the water.
    Grease the first 20cm for extra flotation.
    The trick is to get the balancing act of weighted nymphs and floating tip correct.
    You now have the most sensitive strike indicator possible. Fish with a leader setup of no longer than 1,7m. Remember the slower the water the "softer the take".
    any movement on the tip of your fly line, just raise the rod tip, no vicious strikes, this way you don't disrupt the water. You will be pleasantly surprised how many more takes you will pick up. Takes a bit of getting used too.

C.S

oh really, one dimensional you say

Believe that, just believe that
    PK

I am haunted by waters - Norman Maclean

Quote Originally Posted by pieterkriel View Post
    oh really, one dimensional you say

Believe that, just believe that
    I agree Pieter, we have to give you guys a bit more credit than that. From what I am reading, it's more two dimensional; Up and down.....and up and down
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

I agree Pieter, we have to give you guys a bit more credit than that. From what I am reading, it's more two dimensional; Up and down.....and up and down
    Like I said, keep believing it

I admit you get Vaal Fishermen and Fly Fishermen, have to differentiate between them
    PK

I am haunted by waters - Norman Maclean

OOF! Them's are fighting words
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlie" - Ago 2014.

I asked a question last night of some our Pros from Dover ...

"Why in CZ nymphing does need a FLY LINE AT ALL?" ... wasn't answered!

maybe someone here can enlighten me?
    I always wanted to be somebody,but now I realize I should have been more specific.
    Alcohol is the anaesthesia by which we endure the operation of life. GBS

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast