Thread: Namibia

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Namibia

Hi,

I am lucky enough to be going down to Namibia for 3 weeks over december, one of those weeks will be spent tiger fishing on the okovango river, the rest of the time at the coast in Swakopmund.
    Is it worthwile trying for something on fly from the side or should I just stick to my old "pen katrol" and Assasin and hope for the best?

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Hi,

I am lucky enough to be going down to Namibia for 3 weeks over december, one of those weeks will be spent tiger fishing on the okovango river, the rest of the time at the coast in Swakopmund.
    Is it worthwile trying for something on fly from the side or should I just stick to my old "pen katrol" and Assasin and hope for the best?
    Howzit Wolfie. How i envy you!! I'm stuck at home over the Dec hols this year.

I have also thought about the possibility of fishing around Henties with the fly rod but haven't actually gone so far as to try fly fishing there yet. I did however discover some good Steenbras fishing within fly casting distance between Bennie se Rooi Lorrie and Jakkalsputz. My mate picked up a bus of a fish on an overwind that landed about 20 metres out. The big steenies were patrolling a gulley on the beach break and we would never have discovered it had it not been for his 'kraaines' We caught 5 double figure steenies in the same sloop that day. I also caught a beautiful 3kg Galjoen even closer in around the same spot. This was in calm sea conditions, with gentle rollers coming in even spaced intervals...perfect fly fishing conditions.

It is always worth prospecting a bit with the fly rod while your conventional tackle is in the rod-stand. You have nothing to lose. Good luck!
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Hi Chris,

I actualy thought of the exact same area to Scout and there is also a nice flat gully right besides the salt works outside Swakop that I am going to have a go at.

I was there in Feb this year. Being my first trip there I went on advice that there is no way that you can use your fly rod there. I took only my big surf rod and reel and boy was I disappointed that I did not take my fly rod.

The place is perfect for a fly rod. There is deep gullies close to sandbanks and most of my steenies was caught within easy cast with a shooting head. The best place was north of Henties, past Cape Cross from about Mile 90 up to Mile 108. My best steenie was caught on an overwind, with the bait falling in the waves just more than a surf rod length away.

I dont know what the sea is like closer to Swakopmund, but north of Henties is prime fly fishing area. It is just strange that fly fishing along this part of the coast has not taken off in a big way.

Have fun when you are there...
    Arnoc

Hmm we use to live in Swakopmund when I was a little boy. I would just love to go back there. Enjoy the trip and good luck with the fly. It sounds like it will work. Let us know what happend
    "Sometimes one pays most for the things one gets for nothing" - Einstein

I am defenitly going to make sure my 10# works wile I am up there.
    Is there any recomended flies for Galjoen and steenbras or can I stick to salty buggers and clousers?