Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: 4# Outfit Suggestions groot asb????

As far as I know, only Sage make a 000, may be wrong though!
    Daryl Human

The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

Oh ok cool thanks
    The closer one gets to realizing his destiny, the more that destiny becomes his true reason for being! Paulo Coelho

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Jooste View Post
    Mario, just as a matter of interest, do these brands fall in the price range originally quoted?? i.e 3K for the whole set-up????
    Yes, many of the ranges come in well below that limit.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Het Mario

Didn't even think of looking at some of the names you mentioned. CAn you recommend anything within budget?
    Vow not to stop until i've got a kingfish, but then gentlemen... it has just begun...

Quote Originally Posted by Fingers View Post
    I am going to stick my foot in here and say that intentionally fishing for yellowfish (or any larger fish) with a 000 outfit is irresponsible and unsporting. If you are so keen to kill the fish at least land it quickly and dispatch it with a priest instead of letting it fight itself to death.

With a heavier rod you get backbone and flexibility. The rod cushions the runs of the fish allowing you to add more pressure resulting in you subdueing the fish sooner and with less harm. You have less break offs (fish with hooks in mouths and line trailing) and more landed fish.

When you catch a big fish on very light tackle the rod does nothing so you are left reeling in the fish on the line. If the fish makes a sudden run it is the strength of the line that keeps the fish on. You might as well be using a hand line in this situation.

Sure you can catch big fish on undersized tackle, and sometimes a monster grabs your fly and takes you for a run, but that doesn't mean you should knowingly do it. A 4wt is fine for most trout waters in SA but a 5wt is probably a little better. Choose a rod for the conditions and typical size fish you will be fishing for - it's the right thing to do.

My 2 cents
    Stuart, have you ever even fished with a #000?

I'll wait for a reply before I continue, because maybe you have, and then I'll sit with my foot in my mouth ... again!
    Mario Geldenhuys

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by Philip View Post
    Het Mario

Didn't even think of looking at some of the names you mentioned. CAn you recommend anything within budget?
    Sage Launch Series Rod - $175.00
    Winston Ascent Fly Rod - $199.00
    Sage FLi Series Rod - $255.00
    G.Loomis GL3 2-Piece Fly Rods - $265.00
    Scott A2 All Water Fly Rod - $265.00
    Winston Vapor 3 wt. - 6 wt. - $299.00
    Mario Geldenhuys

Quote Originally Posted by dizzy View Post
    As far as I know, only Sage make a 000, may be wrong though!
    No you're not wrong at all.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5