Page 2 of 437 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 52 102 ... LastLast

Thread: WC Streams report back

Quote Originally Posted by gkieser View Post
    Saweet! John and I are on Hollies 6 tomorrow so we should see at least Maddy and possibly Rudolph and Andrew on the way up. Enjoy it guys!
    Why? Aren't you planning to see any trout Grant? Just got strange looks from people in the complex... couldn't seem to understand why I was trying out a mono rig in the pool... idiots...
    " Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are good is like expecting the bull not to charge because you are a vegetarian." -Dennis Wholey

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Cox View Post
    Why? Aren't you planning to see any trout Grant? Just got strange looks from people in the complex... couldn't seem to understand why I was trying out a mono rig in the pool... idiots...
    BWAAAHAHAHAHAHA! TOOLS!
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Default Holsloot Beat 4

Saweet! John and I are on Hollies 6 tomorrow so we should see at least Maddy and possibly Rudolph and Andrew on the way up. Enjoy it guys!
    Got there bright and early. Weather looked hostile - cloudy with a breeze from behind. First hour was quiet, no rises and a miss or 2. Sun came out, fish started rising and the day turned out a whole lot better. I landed 7 fish, lost at least 4(lost as in missed and 2 break offs), Renier landed another 4 fished and also missed a couple. Fished until 14:-ish and started the trek back to the car. Eish, it tough getting back to the road
    Rudolph
    No matter how busy you may think you are, you must find time for reading, or surrender yourself to self-chosen ignorance.
    Confucius

That is quite strange! We had good fishing in the morning and both had fish early on, but then it tapered off as the sun came out. John got 6 fish, all befor lunch, and I got 5 fish, with only 1 of them coming after lunch.

There was quite a lot of freshly cut down trees, but these had been left in the damn water which made landing fish a bit more difficult!
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

There was quite a lot of freshly cut down trees, but these had been left in the damn water which made landing fish a bit more difficult!
    I tried to clear them out as we went, but gave up in the end.
    Rudolph
    No matter how busy you may think you are, you must find time for reading, or surrender yourself to self-chosen ignorance.
    Confucius

geez i was a bit hesitant to post anything, before we checked how some of you did. having tied some of grants flies from a previous post, we were keyed up. SB5.... first cast and nic is into a fish. we do the shout, the hi 5, and the
    " we gonna moer them today"
    i get one and miss 2, and feel i have to mention the miss..as, it makes me feel better. we saw a fish in a deep pool, we did everything we thought, and nothing more than a wag of the tail to come look and off it goes.
    we took 6 hours to finish our beat, in hindsight Andre said it is a short beat.....i think we scared or bored a crapload on sat. we had fun but it was damn difficult. we walked purposefully through what looked like good lies and never spooked a fish the whole day. please don't tell me you guys moered the fish?
    Last edited by rols; 09-12-07 at 09:27 PM. Reason: sp
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

Ja , let me tell you, on that beat, you spook them from the tunnel, just by driving towards the beat. The proper way to fish that streatch, especially the second half of beat 5, is leopard crawling with rod arm in the air.

Quote Originally Posted by rols View Post
    geez i was a bit hesitant to post anything, before we checked how some of you did. having tied some of grants flies from a previous post, we were keyed up. SB5.... first cast and nic is into a fish. we do the shout, the hi 5, and the
    i get one and miss 2, and feel i have to mention the miss..as, it makes me feel better. we saw a fish in a deep pool, we did everything we thought, and nothing more than a wag of the tail to come look and off it goes.
    we took 6 hours to finish our beat, in hindsight Andre said it is a short beat.....i think we scared or bored a crapload on sat. we had fun but it was damn difficult. we walked purposefully through what looked like good lies and never spooked a fish the whole day. please don't tell me you guys moered the fish?
    Hiya Rols,

Which fly was that again?

Ciao
    G

Quote Originally Posted by rols View Post
    hehe...great report Roland! No, I'm not going to tell you I moered the fish. I just want to say that I have been following all your reports with the greatest interest though...and finding this progression to stream fisherman highly amusing. You must please keep it up....it is priceless stuff!

One thing I am glad to hear is that you say it isn't easy. After more than a decade of solitary fishing on the streams, I must admit there was a stage where I got so in tune and good that I got bored and was thinking of packing it in. Fact is, I found it to be too sterio-typical and easy, but at that stage my senses and skills were so honed...and I could spot a trout from a mile off and put my fly on a tickey, but that was never enough, I needed more. I then moved onto a bit of stillwater fishing and was introduced to the salt. The stream lay off did me good beacuase it dulled my skills enough to present a bit more of a challenge to me again, and where before I very seldom ever dropped or spooked a fish, now I do it all the time..........and you know what......so what! What I am saying is, enjoy the challenge boet becuase as long as you still find it challenging, you'll be keeping at it.

Looking forward to your next report
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

We fished half of SB1 and all of SB2. Long day - on the water at 8H45, off at 17H30. Luckily the wind was upstream for most of the day.

Fishing was average.... got some trout and Mr Lampert slayed the mini-bass all day long

New species for me, caught a motherfluffer dragonfly. It grabbed my para adams in flight and then got the tippet wrapped around its wings. Flew around with it for about 2 minutes and we then got it to sit on Darryls hand. He tooks lots of pics and eventually managed to cut the tippet and free the dragonfly

Water temp 17 when we got in, estimate it was over 20 late in the afternoon, starting to get too hot for decent trout fishing on SB.

My best fish for the day was a 13 incher, fat stocky little guy in awesome condition. Lekker to be back on the streams after a 4 week gap of moving house, sorting out the new garden etc...
    Last edited by ebf; 10-12-07 at 08:01 AM.

Page 2 of 437 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 52 102 ... LastLast