Page 8 of 437 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 58 108 ... LastLast

Thread: WC Streams report back

hotel beat today...did everything wrong. i only ended up with one fish landed.
    i struck and hooked 4 more but they came off the hook. one broke me off. after about 11am it went dead. did'nt even see fish. we had 2 hilites though.
    partner goes left and i go the other way. there in front of him is a girl suntanning...g string nogal. he only tells me after we get out the river. meantime...he tells me about a couple he walks upon...while they are UPON. i walk into the same couple...say sorry.....and now i hope they learn, flyfishers do it in pairs
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

Aiaiai!!! Good luck everyone getting to book hotel beat from now on.

I wonder if the couple were looking for their "Toys" that Rudolph found!
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Quote Originally Posted by FishWhisperer View Post
    Problem is he didn't turn. He came up, sipped and then flattened out. I couldn't understand it, by all rights I should have hooked him in the middle of the top jaw. And I waited till he flattened out and still niks!! I think its because he was right underneath the tip of my rod when he took it. Maybe I should have taken a step or two backwards. But I know where he is now... I'll get him next time
    sounds like one for the offset hook
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Quote Originally Posted by gkieser View Post
    Aiaiai!!! Good luck everyone getting to book hotel beat from now on.

I wonder if the couple were looking for their "Toys" that Rudolph found!
    could well be they maybe stashed it for later retrieval and use, and Rudolph foiled that plan
    Last edited by pieterkriel; 14-12-07 at 08:12 AM.
    PK

I am haunted by waters - Norman Maclean

Quote Originally Posted by pieterkriel View Post
    could well be they maybe stashed it for late retrieval and use, and Rudolph foiled that plan
    I'll have a look on Monday
    Rudolph
    No matter how busy you may think you are, you must find time for reading, or surrender yourself to self-chosen ignorance.
    Confucius

Attachment 1830

Matt, try something like this next time when you have problems hooking a fish that is sipping off the surface. Notice the upturned hook. This is also something I resort to with hook shy fish. Bit of a b!tch to tie, but it works!
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Awesome.

Herr Shelton, not to deviate from the thread, but do you tie with the hook upside down or do you tie the fly upside down?
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    Awesome.

Herr Shelton, not to deviate from the thread, but do you tie with the hook upside down or do you tie the fly upside down?
    Hi Scythe

I start with the shank clasped just behing the eye in the vice, bend of the hook facing upwards. Attach a piece of antron on the inside of the hook bend just past the start of the bend so that it angles upwards towards the sharp end. Then I use the antron and the curvature of the hook as a para-post for the hackle which I take twice around the post and then I lay the tip of the hackle down against the shaft towards the eye and bring the thread forward to the eye and tie off. The tip of the hackle serves as a tail, which also aids in disguising your tippet knot. Basically you land up with a fly that is tied upside down and the wrong way around in that that tail is at the eye end instead of at the bend. The resulting upside down parachute ensures that this fly alofts on the surface with the hook up facing upwards everytime.

Nice one, Chris!

Thanks Chris. At least you guys can't accuse me of not sharing a few of my secrets

Page 8 of 437 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 58 108 ... LastLast