Page 10 of 437 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 60 110 ... LastLast

Thread: WC Streams report back

thanks Darryl, I'll relax a bit more next time. was a worrying experience though.
    cheers
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

Stellenbosch and Kuils River, Western Cape

Hey Rols!
    It was nice to meet you on wednesday! A buddy and I fsihed SB 3 and 4 in the presence of a howling wind. We saw absolutely no action until roundabout 10h00, when the odd fish would rise in the pool above Donkergat on SB3. Fishing was difficult as the wind was blowing (up stream wind), straightening out our leaders too much, also the absence of rising fish and relatively warm water. I ended the day with 3 fish landed and several fish (5) broken off including one monster lying in an extremely small pocket on SB. I mainly fished an Ed's hopper (size 16) and a weighted PTN as a dropper. Most of the fish we saw however went for the hopper. The day was relatievely disappointing as I failed to haul in hooked fish! I will hit the streams again after I come back from Mossel Bay, but will concentrate mainly fishing early mornings and late afternoons. Cheers guys enjoy the festive season and have a Merry Xmas!

hi Stanton
    At last we met. yesterday's fishing was slow, it'll be interesting to see how Darryl does today. i think definately the earlier the better. Enjoy your break and drive carefully. Cheers
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by rols View Post
    hi Stanton
    At last we met. yesterday's fishing was slow, it'll be interesting to see how Darryl does today. i think definately the earlier the better. Enjoy your break and drive carefully. Cheers
    Hi Rols,

The fishing was pretty slow, not suprising with the water temp hitting 27C by about 11H00. Spent the day concentrating on photography. Here are a couple of pics from the day.

Regards,
    Darryl

Attachment 1878Attachment 1879Attachment 1880Attachment 1881
    Attachment 1882Attachment 1883Attachment 1884Attachment 1885
    Attachment 1886Attachment 1887Attachment 1888Attachment 1889
    Attachment 1890Attachment 1891Attachment 1892
    Last edited by dlampert; 23-12-07 at 03:40 PM.
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Hi Darryl, 27 degrees ....sheesa thats warm. Awesome pices. We been getting few fish, leeries mainly, Niel even managed to foul hook a mullet.
    Weather has turned a bit foul in Plett, but anyway, there are still a few fish around. Chow

geez Darryl some stunning pics there boet. I thought, when I picked up Niels thermometer that it was faulty, reading 25 degrees....now I know why it was a bit slow on my day as well. (i'm always about 40 degrees in the shade) ...on a "heat hotness" scale for those who don't know me....not the hotness as in babealicious hotness

Fished SB4 today. Missed 2 and spooked 3. Nic also missed 2. Geez we battled our whatsa names off. A really nice piece of water but we had a strong headwind and trying to turn over the fly even aggressively, took some doing
    I was really surprised that we did not see more fish. some stunning lies and casting to them brought nothing and then walking through, we never spooked many fish. We saw 11 cars parked at the EP parking, maybe they knew something we did'nt.
    Quick question. When you see the marker on the road, how do you guys go down to beat 4? If you walk straight down you come to a steep cliff. if you climb down the right side you end up on beat 3. Do you go to the left of the steep cliff and double back to fish that water?
    Cheers

i'm not asking for how to do or your secret flies here, but i'm open to suggestions . first time on this beat, we only fished dries, i did put a glaring yello hopper on at one stage, (i wanted to tie on a dropper), but the wind caused so much poofie and i found words i never knew existed....and if i realy thought the fish were going to reply.....well now you know how our day was.

Hi Rols,

IIRC you walk down the right hand side and then head upstream a bit once you are at the bottom. Did you take the water temp ? My feeling at the moment regarding the Smalblaar is that you can fish it very early until about 10H00, after that you are putting the fish under immense stress if you catch them. The Elandspad will be running a bit cooler as will the Holsloot.

Regards,
    Darryl
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by dlampert View Post
    ...My feeling at the moment regarding the Smalblaar is that you can fish it very early until about 10H00, after that you are putting the fish under immense stress if you catch them. The Elandspad will be running a bit cooler as will the Holsloot...
    Its true what Darryl said. Croeser and myself fished SB3 and SB4 on Sunday and we had the same weather conditions as you Rols. The fish are very spooky and to present a fly in the head wind, proof to be a impossible task! The water felt warm from the morning already, with colder spots here and there over the runs. We manage to spook a lot and miss a couple. We spotted a monster trout on SB3. It was on the one side of the deep black pool towards the end of the run, but manage to spook him even more. The wind was just to a big problem. After blanking the whole of SB3, I did manage to catch a very nice size trout in some pocket water early into SB4.

What I noticed was that the take was so soft and slow, almost like he had no power to take the fly. It was beautiful to se him take it thou! I just lifted into him and all hell broke loose. He ran me up and down twice and then I managed to set him free. But this is what makes fishing Cape streams so interesting, always something different.
    Last edited by chriss; 28-12-07 at 07:01 AM.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old; We grow old because we stop playing!
    ~ George Bernard Shaw ~

Page 10 of 437 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 60 110 ... LastLast