Thread: Yellows in George?

Default Yellows in George?

Spoke to my old man last night. He says that there is a river in/near George where they catch yellowfish. He found out about the place from a tackle shop in George.

Apparently it's a river that broadens into a wider section that could be called a "dam" and then narrows again into a river.

Anyone hear of this? Yellowfish in/near George?

But I'll wait 'til December when I go visit and check it out.

Andrew

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by spig View Post
    Spoke to my old man last night. He says that there is a river in/near George where they catch yellowfish. He found out about the place from a tackle shop in George.

Apparently it's a river that broadens into a wider section that could be called a "dam" and then narrows again into a river.

Anyone hear of this? Yellowfish in/near George?

But I'll wait 'til December when I go visit and check it out.

Andrew
    Hey Spig! I'm also gonna be down in Mosselbay from 15/12/06. It's only a 30min drive from George. Maybe we can hook up and I'll show you some Vaal method & you can show me some CT method?
    No PAIN No Gain

Hi Guys.

Below is a link to Yellows in that area. The closest venue seems to be Calitzdorp dam which is an hours drive from George.

http://www.scff.co.za/yellowfish.htm

Wink

Thanx Pierre!
    Last year I've spoken to a guy from the fishing shop in the main road in Mosselbay- I think his name is Giel. He also goes out to Calitzdorp for yellows, might be the best to hook up with someone that knows those waters well.
    No PAIN No Gain

Hey Nymph+O-,

Sorry man, I know jack-diddly-squat about Yellows. I only recently discovered Bass

We can hook up, yes, but it's gonna be more of a "you show me your techniques and I'll sponge 'em up" scenario. I'll be there the week between Xmas and New Year.

I don't even know what flies to use. At this point I'm gonna do a little "research" or else just throw whatever is in my flybox and hope for the best.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Nymph+O- View Post
    Thanx Pierre!
    Last year I've spoken to a guy from the fishing shop in the main road in Mosselbay- I think his name is Giel. He also goes out to Calitzdorp for yellows, might be the best to hook up with someone that knows those waters well.
    No problem Spig.
    Look, I'm no Jedi Master or anything but I have taken a couple of fish in my life before. You know what?! - my long casting skills are up to Sh!t, so maybe you can help me out in that department since you have to do those for Bass??
    No PAIN No Gain

There is a river that the guys fish for yellows near George but I cannot remember the name of it - I keep thinking Gouritz but not sure if that's correct.

Fish, I remember you mentioning it in a similar post I started on the old forum. You mentioned some guys that do guided trips on that river and you had a link for their website. Any chance of getting the info again please?

Quote Originally Posted by Nymph+O- View Post
    No problem Spig.
    Look, I'm no Jedi Master or anything but I have taken a couple of fish in my life before. You know what?! - my long casting skills are up to Sh!t, so maybe you can help me out in that department since you have to do those for Bass??
    Yeah, we can make a plan. PM me you r contact info and we can hook up in December.

I found this in the scff newsletter:

Assegaaybosch Nature Reserve: – a new flyfishing destination within a massive (10,000 ha) nature reserve. The Grootrivier, part of the Gouritz river system offers the flyfisher shallow rapids and riffles as well as long and deep pools full of smallmouth yellows. Drive over the Outeniqua pass towards Oudtshoorn and Calitzdorp. Take the road to Van Wyksdorp and over the Rooiberg pass towards the reserve. You can contact them on Tel: 028 581 2440 or072 513 9022. Their e-mail address is assegaay@akanihotels.com

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by gkieser View Post
    I found this in the scff newsletter:

Assegaaybosch Nature Reserve: – a new flyfishing destination within a massive (10,000 ha) nature reserve. The Grootrivier, part of the Gouritz river system offers the flyfisher shallow rapids and riffles as well as long and deep pools full of smallmouth yellows. Drive over the Outeniqua pass towards Oudtshoorn and Calitzdorp. Take the road to Van Wyksdorp and over the Rooiberg pass towards the reserve. You can contact them on Tel: 028 581 2440 or072 513 9022. Their e-mail address is assegaay@akanihotels.com
    Thanx for that, nr.G!
    No PAIN No Gain