Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Exploring the Eerste River mouth

Quote Originally Posted by shector View Post
    I had a look at the Eerste below Spier. The water was extremely dirty with alot of brown bubbles floating in it. I wonder how the estuary water compares with water a few km's upper stream?

You might find a few sea run 'bows there.... Ha Ha Ha... highly unlikely!
    You laugh! In days gone by, trout were regulary caught in the sea at the mouth....fact!
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

I know the Eerste is pretty polluted in places upstream, but this doesnt affect life down at the mouth too much. The regular flushing from the sea at high tide is what keeps it alive.
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Quote Originally Posted by shector View Post
    You might find a few sea run 'bows there.... Ha Ha Ha... highly unlikely!
    Your more likely to find some sea running browns...
    Around the steel no tortur'd worm shall twine, No blood of living insect stain my line;
    Let me, less cruel, cast feather'd hook, With pliant rod athwart the pebbled brook,
    Silent along the mazy margin stray, And with fur-wrought fly delude the prey

Stellenbosch and Kuils River, Western Cape

Quote Originally Posted by FishWhisperer View Post
    Now that's hen's teeth right there! Fred Bowker wrote that sea run 'bows were frequently taken in the lower sections of the Eerste close to Maccasar!

Some trek netters also caught sea run browns in days gone bye.

Let me know when you go, would like to join, if there is space.

Korrie

sure Korrie, you're welcome.

I just found the following info that may be of further interest to you guys

Helderberg Marine Protected Area

No fishing is allowed between the mouth of the Eerste River and the mouth of the Lourens River in False Bay, extending 500m seawards from the high-water mark.

So, what we have inbetween these two mouths is a sanctuary......very interesting!

I was reading an old inland fisheries report, where it says regular reports of trout being caught in nets by trek fisherman at the mouth of the Eerste were received in the 1920's. Jonkershoek then went on to tag a batch of fingerlings which they released into the Eerste and offered a reward to any professional sea fisherman who caught one of these in the sea and returned a tag to them.

Unfortunately I only have the first inland fisheries report, so I cannot do the follow up to see if any tags were eventually returned. I must still see what info I can find in some of the old Piscators.
    Last edited by Chris Shelton; 10-12-07 at 01:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FishWhisperer View Post
    Ja the brown blind eels that is

Bingo! Found this in Piscator number 1 (1st quarter 1947)

The lower Eerste River & "sea-run"rainbow trout theory

Progress is being made. Members will be glad to hear that the inland fisheries dept. has taken up the investigation of this interesting matter.
    The lower Eerste is absolutely dry again - just a sandy lane. Conditions at the mouth vary from year to year as the head of False Bay is entirely a shifting sand area. At present, the final half-mile of the river course contains sea water, and there is only a small lagoon at the mouth behind the sandy beach, over which the recent Spring tides have been flowing. Four silvery rainbows, 11" to 13", were netted from this salt water lagoon on 11/03/47 in the presence of the Hon Secretary; together with many sea fish, viz. white steenbras, harders and leervis. Members are requested to assist by trying to get authentic records of the capture of trout in the harder seine nets in the open sea at muizenberg, Strand, Gordons Bay etc. on this long beach.

you guys thinking what i'm thinking?

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast