Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Exploring the Eerste River mouth

Default Exploring the Eerste River mouth

I did a bit of prospecting along the False Bay coast yesterday and got as far as the Eerste River estuary.......and was greeted by shoals of scattering bait-fish on arrival. There was not a soul there and from what I can see, the area behind the sewerage farm on the Strand side of the estuary is seldom frequented these days. I didn't even see a single vagrant. I then found the approach from the other side by taking the Macassor pavillion turn off and found myself right at the mouth again. The pavillion itself has become a bit of a ghost town with drift sand piling up against the walls of this once magnificent looking structure. The buildings have long since been vacated. I spoke to the care-taker who is mostly there with his staff to keep the beach clean and he says it is 100% safe to fish there during the day. At night, they have security patrolling the area to the right of the parking lot where most of the picnickers gather, so he wouldn't advise fishing by one self anywhere on the left hand side of the derelict resort, because the security don't cover that area.

I then travelled back towards Monwabisi beach, along the 4x4 track that skirts the coast and spoke to a few anglers along the way. Due to the remoteness of this particular stretch of coast, they fish in groups of 4 at night, but they say they have never had any incidents along this stretch. It is obviously too far out of the way and too much PT by virtue of the fact that a 4x4 is required to get there for criminals to bother. They tend to target the easier pickings closer to the main drag. This is a magnificent stretch of coastline and it reminded me a bit of Namibia in that all you see are anglers with their 4x4's backed up to the beach every few hundred metres. Apparently the night time fishing along this stretch is awesome!

But back to the Eerste estuary; seeing all those bait fish scattering immediately made me think....leeries!! Next time I head out that way, I'll have my fly rod with me
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Give me a call
    Be the change that you want to see

FLYWATERS

Quote Originally Posted by FIGJAM View Post
    Give me a call
    Great, I'll do that Leonard. It really is worth a good look at.
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

hi chris,im not familiar with this estuary.how wide is it?depth?
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

Cool. on leave from 14 Dec to 14 Jan
    Be the change that you want to see

FLYWATERS

Quote Originally Posted by swsmith View Post
    hi chris,im not familiar with this estuary.how wide is it?depth?
    It is about the width of the outlet of Milnerton lagoon at the mouth, and this opens up about 200 metres upstream to a little narrower than the width of the canals in between the houses at Marina Da Gama.

You are more than welcome to join us when we go. Lets do a first light exploratory trip soon

what really surprised me is how clean it is.....and no sh1t lying around either....what a pleasure!

im keen....i still reckon the more numbers the better.....
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

Quote Originally Posted by swsmith View Post
    im keen....i still reckon the more numbers the better.....
    I was there completely alone yesterday...and I felt safe. I didn't even have my gun on me. I think it is too far out of reach of the squatter camps

Stellenbosch and Kuils River, Western Cape

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    Macassor pavillion
    My uncle bought a beach house right behind that pavillion for R50000.00

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast