Thread: Float Tubes, Zambezis?

Default Float Tubes, Zambezis?

Keen to do some float tubing in some of the smaller transkei rivers.
    Anyone out there done that? My concern is dangling my legs in the water, with the chance of there being Zambezis in those rivers...

Sounds like a happy meal to me
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Brin Kushner View Post
    Anyone out there done that? My concern is dangling my legs in the water, with the chance of there being Zambezis in those rivers...
    I can relate, it is not a lekker feeling at all.

I did a bit of float tubing in amongst the kelp at Melkbos in a area called 'Die Vlei' one day and I caught a bag full of bronze bream 'Hottentot' in a very short space of time, but I must tell you, knowing that this is also Cow shark water did nothing for my nerves and what was probably my shortest float tubing session ever felt like the longest by far
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Yep. The fact that one also might have a fish on the line, also doesnt help matters. We have all seen tuna and other gamefish get smashed by large sharks right at the boat! Odd thing is that I intend to surf while I am there, and that doesnt bother me as much as being in a float tube... go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by Brin Kushner View Post
    Which Transkei rivers are you going to?? And when??
    Around the steel no tortur'd worm shall twine, No blood of living insect stain my line;
    Let me, less cruel, cast feather'd hook, With pliant rod athwart the pebbled brook,
    Silent along the mazy margin stray, And with fur-wrought fly delude the prey

Will be up at Mboyti, just north of Port St Johns from the 27th Dec until the 4th. Taking with all fly gear, as well as some dropshot and rock and surf tackle. Hope the fish are around!

isn't the Zambezi shark, and Bull shark, one and the same?

The estuary at Mboyti is pretty shallow. They have canoes as well as River Rangers who can guide you to the hot spots. You really don't need to take your tube. The mouth is narrow but a good place to try at high tide for small kings. There are some decent drop-offs to try. I was there last year March. The weather was really grim. Didn't have much luck at all, apart from the mouth, & didn't explore upstream (I should have - sure there will be river snapper).

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    isn't the Zambezi shark, and Bull shark, one and the same?
    Yes, Carcharhinus leucas.
    Check your knots!

Awesome thanks, will give it a try. Any clue how one can get in touch with the river rangers?