Thread: Dubbing Alternative

Default Dubbing Alternative

Made a nice little discovery.

U know the material that covers ur bed/mattress?I think it's called quilt or quilting.

It's synthetic(not 100%) and white which means u'll have to dye it.

It works quite lekker,give it a try!!!
    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 18-12-07 at 07:26 AM.

It's called "Batting" You can get it at all matarial stores, you can find it inside your duvets aswell.

Pheasant Tail Nymph Banned User

Hi Gerrit,

What material are you talking about now? Is it inside the matress?

Quote Originally Posted by Pheasant Tail Nymph View Post
    Hi Gerrit,

What material are you talking about now? Is it inside the matress?
    No the material that covers ur mattress.Quilting is the process of stitching the batting and material together,this finished product is then placed over the mattress.

I think I've got it right,if not Elize help out here please?

G

Pheasant Tail Nymph Banned User

Thanks Gerrit,

It doesn't cover my mattress, but as soon as I asked my mother about it, she produced a whole bag of it for me to see.

Now I just need to know what die you use to change the color properly.

Regards,
    PTN

Ja i don't think he means the matress matarial itself. that is more like sponge..

Just inbetween the matress and the matarial ontop of the matress is a soft layer of white fiber, called "batting" (very similar to dubbing) they put this (in big sheets) just under the top layer of matarial before they stitch those triangular or whatever shaped patterns you see on the surface of the bed matress. they put the "batting" (the dubbing like stuff) under the matarial so that the matarial patterns bulges out between the stiching and makes it look and feel pretty

If you cut open any duvet you'll find this same stuff in there too. Its only comes in white (as far as I know) and its mostly synthetic. I have heard that you can get a batting made from wool, but you'll have to google that one. You can buy it in big semi compressed sheets/ or rolls, by the metre. Ask any matarial shop, They'll all have it.

http://craft.nunodoll.com/mermaid/material1.jpg
    here's a pict, its the fluffy white stuff on the right.

hope i make sense

Quote Originally Posted by Pheasant Tail Nymph View Post
    Thanks Gerrit,

It doesn't cover my mattress, but as soon as I asked my mother about it, she produced a whole bag of it for me to see.

Now I just need to know what die you use to change the color properly.

Regards,
    PTN
    Hi,

Mc might be able to help out here.I used Dylon's hot dye.(Pick 'n Pay,Spar,Dischem)Jou moet dit kook in jou ma se pot met sout,roer met houtlepel.

Always remember,different flies uses different dubbings.

I use Hare's ear for all my thoraxes
    Hareline's Polar dubbing for streamers,Ice Wing for others
    Hareline's fine dubbing for dries

Also some of my patterns r tied with Wool/Embroidery thread rather than dubbing.

All dubbing materials has different qualities,u'll learn this quite fast.

Even though the batting is great for certain applications texture wise,I struggled to dye the materials hence I don't use it anymore.

My buddy owns a bed store and manufacture his own bed range.I always used to get the stuff for free.

From that point of view,much much cheaper than polar or Ice dub but the slep of dying became to much.

Hope the info helps

G
    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 18-12-07 at 07:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gerrit View Post
    Hi,

Mc might be able to help out here.I used Dylon's hot dye.(Pick 'n Pay,Spar,Dischem)Jou moet dit kook in jou ma se pot met sout,roer met houtlepel.

Always remember,different flies uses different dubbings.

I use Hare's ear for all my thoraxes
    Hareline's Polar dubbing for streamers,Ice Wing for others
    Hareline's fine dubbing for dries

Also some of my patterns r tied with Wool/Embroidery thread rather than dubbing.

All dubbing materials has different qualities,u'll learn this quite fast.

Even though the batting is great for certain applications texture wise,I struggled to die the materials hence I don't use it anymore.

My buddy owns a bed store and manufacture his own bed range.I always used to get the stuff for free.

From that point of view,much much cheaper than polar or Ice dub but the slep of dying became to much.

Hope the info helps

G

How does the dye last? Usually you are unable to dye synthetics and the colour will wash out.

Some natural dubbings (like angora) don't take permanent marker very well either, tried and failed on the spirit river angora.
    Fly-fishing surpasses the need to actually catch a fish, it becomes a mindset, and with time, an obsession.

Lord,grant that I may catch a fish so big that even I,
    When speaking afterwards,
    May have no need to lie.
    Amen

Quote Originally Posted by Gael View Post
    How does the dye last? Usually you are unable to dye synthetics and the colour will wash out.

Some natural dubbings (like angora) don't take permanent marker very well either, tried and failed on the spirit river angora.
    Hi Gael,

The batting I used is not 100% synthetic and that's why I was able to colour it quite lekker,in darker colours I must add.Can't rem the name of batting,will ask the guy again today and get back to u on that.

I think if u colour the stuff twice it will take on colour quite well.I struggled with lighter colours though.

Look if u can find the perfect dye for it,u'll have a lifetime supply of it.

The ones(dark colours) i've used did not wash out when wet.

G