Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Thread: Your First Fish on Fly??

looking forward to yet another, 1st fish this week end, cause each fish I catch, I feel pretty much as I did the 1st time.... HOOKED
    I'm not addicted to fishing, I can quit anytime my wife makes me!!

My introduction to the world of feather ..and furr was in salty stuff. BLANKED on a few trips down .. but year 3 was rewarded in Ponto with a small kingie just off the point ... took a few small kingies .. and some little needle Queens ... and 3rd day just before sunset ... got into a 4kg kingie .. on a 8wt ... very special. Since then the massive investment in bass equipment .. and rock and surf kit .. previously, seems to be a bit neglected.

I remember like it was 2 weeks ago... Oh wait :P

First fish ever was a rainbow.

small.jpg

Second one was a slightly bigger rainbow.

bigger.jpg

So much fun!

My first fish on fly was about 2 months ago on the 17th of Jan. I had a good start to the year when I got my PB smooth hammerhead on 1 Jan. that is not fly fishing but using big sea rigs, 80lb braid, 22/0 circle hooks and a whole bonito on slide. I got back home after quitting my job as a ranger to pursue a different career. I knew I was going to miss fishing so I decided to grab my fly rod that was used about 3 times over 10 years. Me and one of my friends went fishing at a small pond( can not call it a dam as some people have bigger swimming pools!) he went for carp and managed to get 2 +-1kg carp and I went to practice flyfishing, again. About an hour into the mission I caught a fish, I did not know what it was. It was awesome! fish was no longer than 10cm, it did not fight on my cheep 5/6wt setup. I later found out it was a bluegill. I was hooked proper that day! I started to tie my own flies(Whooly buggers) and managed to catch a couple weeks later a bass on my own fly!
    One thing I found out is that I used to think big sea setups was expencive! Then I started with fly... First fish on fly.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by AlecJ View Post
    My first fish on fly was about 2 months ago on the 17th of Jan. I had a good start to the year when I got my PB smooth hammerhead on 1 Jan. that is not fly fishing but using big sea rigs, 80lb braid, 22/0 circle hooks and a whole bonito on slide. I got back home after quitting my job as a ranger to pursue a different career. I knew I was going to miss fishing so I decided to grab my fly rod that was used about 3 times over 10 years. Me and one of my friends went fishing at a small pond( can not call it a dam as some people have bigger swimming pools!) he went for carp and managed to get 2 +-1kg carp and I went to practice flyfishing, again. About an hour into the mission I caught a fish, I did not know what it was. It was awesome! fish was no longer than 10cm, it did not fight on my cheep 5/6wt setup. I later found out it was a bluegill. I was hooked proper that day! I started to tie my own flies(Whooly buggers) and managed to catch a couple weeks later a bass on my own fly!
    One thing I found out is that I used to think big sea setups was expencive! Then I started with fly... First fish on fly.jpg
    Nice one! I am still waiting for my kit and still have to start out Where was this caught? Almost looks like Rosendal?..

Quote Originally Posted by ravingDIODE View Post
    Nice one! I am still waiting for my kit and still have to start out Where was this caught? Almost looks like Rosendal?..
    I do not know what the dam is called. Small pond, lekke little island there and I walked over tthe island and played around it is between houses on the way to tygervally

What kit are you waiting for? I just have a R400 combo 5/6wt and now got a 9wt stealth saltwater kit.

Sent from my Titan6575-SA using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AlecJ; 25-02-16 at 02:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AlecJ View Post
    I do not know what the dam is called. Small pond, lekke little island there and I walked over tthe island and played around it is between houses on the way to tygervally

What kit are you waiting for? I just have a R400 combo 5/6wt and now got a 9wt stealth saltwater kit.

Sent from my Titan6575-SA using Tapatalk
    Jip that sounds like Rosendal. Very rocky and shallow with the bass on the one side of the island and on the other side of the island it is deeper. The island is very dense, don't know if one can walk on it.

I was looking at the xplorer 5/6wt combo but Winelands fishing is giving me a Grays 7wt 9'. Not sure which reel and line. Will hopefully pick up the kit within the next few days and get a lesson for casting :-)

I got my kit yesterday and had a casting lessons (Thanks Fly Talk!) and went down to Door de Kraal damn to practise and try to catch something. It was very difficult in the wind and hooked myself a couple of times but eventually I hooked this little baby bass. I barely felt the poor bugger between the grass and only managed to cast about 10m :P It was much easier casting further without any fly on and using the bigger whoolybugger, it made casting a bit more difficult. Plus I was trying to keep all the tips and instructions from yesterday's lesson in mind (Thanks Ryan).

Atleast I can say my first outing produced a fish (this time size doesn't matter okay :P )

IMG_5925.jpg

My first was a tilapia (red breasted I guess) in Rietvlei dam in '92. Bought a glass/graphite combo Silstar rod and reel from the old Carel's in Pta and proceeded to teach myself some casting out of a book on the res's lawn at varsity. After a week I went to the dam on the Saturday with a Mrs Simpson tied on to see if I could get any bass. Dam level came up after some rains and flooded some grass banks. I cast my line along a footpath in the grass and BAM! Caught many other fresh water species after that before I caught my first rainbow in '95 at Millstream, Dullstroom.
    Blikoor,

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!

The first fish I caught was a rainbow trout when I was 7-8. My dad was into fishing so he got me into the hobby at young age. Ive learned a lot from my him. He always tells me that to get the best fly fishing experience, you have to play around with your gear and equipment. I always upgrade my fishing gear whenever I can.

fish3r
    Last edited by billfish3r; 02-01-21 at 06:30 AM.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11