Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Your First Fish on Fly??

Trouble is I only get to grab myself these days...

Default Help needid

I think we should start a new thread here Chris. This does not belong under first fish cauht on fly. And just for the record if you are Married you shall suffer.

Lets call it Help needid. Or better still we make a poll. Are men alloud to dip if they get nothin at home?
    "I believe in a long prolonged arrangement of the senses to attain the unknown" (Jim Morrison)

My wife was the first I ever caught on a fly!

P.S. My first fish of all time on a fly was an approx 2 ounce bleak on the River Thames (Pangbourne) in 1965. I think it was on a small dry Greenwells Glory using one of my grandfather's salmon rods. I havn't progressed towards finely-tuning the balance of my fly tackle ever since!

Quote Originally Posted by chris williams View Post
    P.S. My first fish of all time on a fly was an approx 2 ounce bleak on the River Thames (Pangbourne) in 1965. I think it was on a small dry Greenwells Glory using one of my grandfather's salmon rods. I havn't progressed towards finely-tuning the balance of my fly tackle ever since!
    That may have been the last recorded catch on the Thames, its a sewer now
    the only thing your catch now is e-coli and botulism and i am sure there would be some kind of french disease in there as well.
    I think no innocent species of wit or pleasantry should be suppressed; and that a good pun may be admitted among the smaller excellencies of lively conversation.
    James Boswell.

[T]his planet is covered with sordid men who demand that he who spends time fishing shall show returns in fish. ~Leonidas Hubbard, Jr.

Hmmm im looking forward to learning what a lot of these first fish you guys mention are, have never even heard of a lot of them
    My own was a 6 inch brown trout from a hill lough in the west of Ireland. Cant remember much more about it but its safe to say....
    It was raining/ It had just stopped raining and looked like it might start again.
    Noel.

Quote Originally Posted by An Chuileog View Post
    Hmmm im looking forward to learning what a lot of these first fish you guys mention are, have never even heard of a lot of them
    My own was a 6 inch brown trout from a hill lough in the west of Ireland. Cant remember much more about it but its safe to say....
    It was raining/ It had just stopped raining and looked like it might start again.
    Noel.
    Welcome Au chuileog (small midgy)
    you should go and look in the gallery on the fly talk home page, i think all the fish are on there,also some fantastic photography.
    I think no innocent species of wit or pleasantry should be suppressed; and that a good pun may be admitted among the smaller excellencies of lively conversation.
    James Boswell.

[T]his planet is covered with sordid men who demand that he who spends time fishing shall show returns in fish. ~Leonidas Hubbard, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
    Welcome Au chuileog (small midgy)
    you should go and look in the gallery on the fly talk home page, i think all the fish are on there,also some fantastic photography.
    Probably most of them are extinct from when I kicked off fishing! Bleak are mainly on the bigger slower SE rivers in England like the Ouse (now Ooze from what you guys are saying?) and the Thames. They reached plague proportions in shaols summtertime. The French used to use their bright sparkly small scales to make artificial pearls. They weren't bad braaied like small sardines or snap-panfried, but doubt I'd want to eat any these days from what you're saying. ZMaybe the Frogs'd make brown pearls out of their scales these days!

Quote Originally Posted by chris williams View Post
    Probably most of them are extinct from when I kicked off fishing! Bleak are mainly on the bigger slower SE rivers in England like the Ouse (now Ooze from what you guys are saying?) and the Thames. They reached plague proportions in shaols summtertime. The French used to use their bright sparkly small scales to make artificial pearls. They weren't bad braaied like small sardines or snap-panfried, but doubt I'd want to eat any these days from what you're saying. ZMaybe the Frogs'd make brown pearls out of their scales these days!
    Have never seen the Thames and have never even heard of the Ouse

First Fish on fly:
    Freshwater - Rainbow Trout at Mahai camp, on a Walkers Killer.
    Saltwater - Sand Gurnard in Durban Harbour, on a Crazy Charlie

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast