Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Your First Fish on Fly??

My first fish was a small largemouth bass! At that time i had one of those shitty compisite rods! I can caught the bugger with a cactus woollybugger

My first fish was a largemouth bass that i caught with a compisite rod, the fly i used was a cactus woollybugger.

My first fish on fly was a smallmouth yellow, followed by a muddie, followed by a LM yellow all on the same morning on the vaal as a total flyfishing virgin Haven't managed to catch that many yellows in a day since
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Popped my cherry with a rainbow trout out in Caledon at a place called Voorhoede, great farm. After 6 hours of flying, I snagged grass and the flyline fell in the water just off the jetty. While retrieving my line to recast I noticed the line dissapearing in the opposite direction, set the hook and a few minutes later landed a 1,5Kg trout. Will never forget the feeling! Day ended well, and have been hooked ever since!

Still waiting to get something doing saltwater, went out with Dewald last night to Sandvlei, had a take and got into the grass and came off . Got that same feeling as when I hooked my first freshwater fish .

I fished Elandskloof outside Dullstroom with an archaic kingfisher and a reel as old as the ones used in "A River runs through it"

Best part is, being utterly clueless and barely being able to cast, I lobbed a floating stimulator on a sinking line of all things and hooked up into a small rainbow no more than say 14".

I worked hard for that fish, the entire weekend's worth of casting all for one fish and needless to say, I am still hooked.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

my first freshwater fish was a LM bass off just over a kilo on a shokking green streamer patern,Took me a week to get a decent cast but hey now I push just over 20m and still aiming for further hehehehe

First saltwater fish: just under a kilo leerie this past december.I didnt count in the blaasoppie I caught wile trying for mullet a year or so back.

I wil start to target trout in streams the day that I cant cast a 10wt for 25-30m,then I will start doing the big hunt,but for now....I am going for the big blue
    Photography Rules!
    www.dewaldkirsten.co.za

10WT on a stream ? Can you imagine the G-Force that fish will pull when you strike and do a back cast with it on the end of your line ?
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

HAHAHAHAHA

sitting laughing my ass off in my office with that pic in my head!!! HAHAHAHA
    I will be a live trout patern sure it will work wonders for a leerie.

Not that i will fish for trout with a 10wt,will get myself a nice 2wt outfit and tackle the streams,or maybe move to the vaal and catch some yellows,i have caught a clanwilliam yellow a few years back and it was good fun
    Photography Rules!
    www.dewaldkirsten.co.za

My first was a scaly caught in Albert Falls. I was trying for bass with my Hardy Richard Walker Reservoir Superlight (I still have it) and a #10 woolly bugger, wading amongst the dead trees. Wasn't having much luck until I heard a slapping sound behind me. There was quite a number of fish feeding in the mud I was stirring up as I waded along. It was so close that I used the rod like a dipping stick to 'present' the fly to the fish and I was on first 'cast'. Went on to catch another 6 of the buggers, using the very same technique (still water Czech Nymphing?). I got my bass, a 7 pounder, the next weekend using a #4 version of the same fly!
    Last edited by harry; 31-07-07 at 12:13 PM.
    If everybody is thinking alike, nobody's thinking - George Patton

Got my first fish when I was 3 years old on one of those starter rod kits my dad bought for me. A little rock fish in Buffelsbay.

My first trout on fly only came when I was 21 at the Dullstroom dam. It was a stockie of about 500g on a 3wt Stealth outfit on a dragon fly I tied myself.
    Fishing is just my thing. I don't know what it is but it seems that i just can't get enough of it.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast