Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Your First Fish on Fly??

Default Your First Fish on Fly??

Can you remember your first fish on fly??

Mine was a barble caught in Emerentia dam, it took a little dragonfly nymph, but hell it gave me a good fight.
    Mike McKeown

You're either fishing or waiting...

My first was a Rainbow on a red setter. I had been trying for ages at kamberg but could never catch one.

My Dad had the opportunity to buy into a syndicate in the dargle area and so my mother and I went to check it out for a day in the school holidays (i was in std 6 i think). It was raining and the fish were rising and I just casted out from a jetty maybe 5 metres which was my limit then and the fish took it as it was sinking! I was so excited that I ran back up to the house with the fish to show my mom, so my first fly caught fish was not catch and release unfortunately.

That was enough for my dad to buy into the syndicate and we spent so many awesome days fishing there. The red setter was the best performer throughout the years. I still miss that place and it's been about 10 years since it was sold on. Still one of the best pair of stillwaters I have ever fished!

I was 10 years old (a very keen bass angler at the stage) and visiting my uncle's farm close to Badplaas in the Mpumalanga highveld. Another "uncle" was also visiting, he was a member of some club which had water in the Belfast district. The night before he showed me his fly box and in particular a Walker's Killer, he said "boetie, this fly is the same as a Rapala is for you bass guys."

We went fishing the next day, one of those typical misty drizzly days. He still left his car's head lights on and the farmer had to "jump" the car at the end of the day. Hi gave me a fly rod to keep me busy, after zip zero nothing the whole day I hooked (Walker's Killer of course) and not even landed the fish at about 6 that afternoon. Well, couldn't sleep that night, I was solidly hooked with a barb in the throat. Bloody good memories, still today the buggers haunt me....

Mine was a small bass on the Berg River. I think the day after buying my outfit from MC when he still had the shop at Mavericks in Somerset West. I had no idea how to cast or someone with to show me. The guys had a good laugh at me, but hey i had the last laugh when i hooked a small bass. Man was I chuffed !!!

Quote Originally Posted by gkieser View Post
    My first was a Rainbow on a red setter.
    SNAP!!! I think if you grew up in Natal in the 80's and fly fished, your first fish had a bloody good chance of being taken on either a Red Setter, or a Walkers Killer, or the good ole Ma Simmie ( Mrs Simpson )
    *** TO RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT AND SPEAK THE TRUTH ***

Some people are like Slinkies.... Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson

Or in the '90s it was one of the Red setter spin offs: Ginger Ales or Orange-ades. Remember those?

Altough I accompanied my dad on many a kloofing trip from the age of 4, I was mostly just a companion or bystander and would busy myself with other things while he fished, like collecting scorpions and other crawly things. I caught my very first fish on fly when I was 9 years old and this was a brown trout. By this time I was a seasoned kloofer and it was on a trip when I accompanied my dad and a few other hardcore guys to the middle valley of the Witels. While they fished on ahead, I busied myself in their wake with a 'bloody butcher' fed downstream. I caught 4 browns over a three day period.
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Small Large Mouth bass on a Tadpole imitation, with a rod that behaved like an animal, but I was none the wiser.

I had a couple of rands to spare (always found some money being a student) and bought a kit at Sportsman Warehouse for R250. Went to Dirkie Morkel's farm (Bellevue) on Bottelary Rd and made a few cast. Got snagged in the Eucaliptus a couple of times, but finally managed to make a half descent cast and hooked a small Large Mouth bass (15cm).

Used that same rod set in the Lake Districts in England and realised that it was the worst piece of equipment money could buy. Drove 6 hours to get ther and left with nothing

As soon as I got back to London, I bought a new rod...SWAMBO still doesn't know about it
    Rudolph
    No matter how busy you may think you are, you must find time for reading, or surrender yourself to self-chosen ignorance.
    Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by Rendier View Post
    As soon as I got back to London, I bought a new rod...SWAMBO still doesn't know about it
    Some times, she does'nt...
    Mike McKeown

You're either fishing or waiting...

Thumbs up First fish on Fly

Mine was a Rainbow at Jonkershoek.Very funny once you get the fish out, you don't really know what to do with it. Well I cept it and quess what, its still in my fridge.....
    We don't stop playing because we grow old; We grow old because we stop playing!
    ~ George Bernard Shaw ~

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast