Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Breede River

Default Breede River

Howzit guys,

John and myself are drifting the breede tomorrow, starting in the slanghoek area.

I'd be interested to hear what tactics/flies etc you guys prefer using for the different species there if any of you have had any experience on that stretch?

Cheers
    G

it would be interessting to hear. If we hook into those big carp I saw the last time you might be in for a fast run down the breede ..... he he he

Perhaps I should get an anchor..

Hi Grant,

Don't know which section you guys will be floating. Sean Mills fished the Breede (Bonnievale) 1.5 months back, lot's of Largemouths around. The Breede is renowned as a topwater bass river, I would think hitting the margins with Dahlberg's, Waterdog's, Poppers etc. Sean also have good success fishing Flash Clousers on the Breede.

Enjoy, heard 3 Crocs from Le Bonheur escaped via the pipeline into the Breede recently (Oops, this probably belong in the k@kpraat section.)

Crocs?

MC's Cute orange ones?

But you are kidding right?

Oh ja. We are starting at the slanghoek low water bridge (I think), and apparently drifting about 5kms.
    Last edited by gkieser; 17-11-06 at 10:50 PM.

Hope you guys have a great day,

No Crocs around apart from the ones being used by Felix Unite.

Hi Grant,

What was the fishing like today, techniques, flies, species?

Cheers,

Philip

Howzit Philip,

We only caught SM bass. Most were about 2lbs and the biggest was 1.3kg or so. Those fish are strong man!

Mine were caught all on a floating line with short sharp strips. Fly was a #8 Black and Chartreuse fritz weighted with a Tungsten bead. John also caught on a yellow popper. The fish were in strange places. Some were near the usual trees/drop offs etc but others were in open areas that seemed to have no appeal to bass.

We didn't spend too much time in the rapids which is something i'd still like to try. I am sure there must be some fish that prefers the faster broken water (witvis?) and the rapids seemed pretty similar to the vaal ones, just crystal clear water.

The wind made it a bit of a battle. It was straight upstream and pumping. Not what you want when you gotta get through a very long drift in a day, but it didn't take too much away from a VERY lekker day.

A lot of the bass had fresh open red sores around their mouths. Any idea if this is from spawning?

Oh ja. We saw some monster carp too. One swam straight up to me and scared the K@k out of me before being spooked.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast