Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Fly Fishing in Durban Harbour?

Quote Originally Posted by phly View Post
    Durbs harbour is pretty much stuffed..I doubt there's anything left to catch.
    It's going to take years to recoup if it's left alone and carefully monitored (which it won't be)..As for the bastards that polluted it...Hopefully some sort of prosecution will take place but a few backhands will probably mean the okes responsible will continue being bastards, unscathed. After all...T.I.A.
    what happened there? a recent spill or just plain joe soap chucking his stuff in the water? why i ask is, i read a while ago of some nice catches in the harbour, and some were documented in flyfishing magazine (africas original) and there were more of grunter etc. there were also warnings however of shark activity and not to wade too deep as the zambezi's were around. hope it's not a spill. there was a thread if i remember correctly on fishing saltwater in natal and there was mention of the harbour...patrols and the like, can't find it now. worth a look though. maybe someone else can remember where it was.
    cheers
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

Hi Rols

No one really seems to know what happened in the harbour. Funny though it was mainly in 2 spots where fish where dying, we seem to think it was some type of chemical pollution. I have been fishing in the Harbour recently & we are having good catches. The dropshot guys have been catching Pickhandle & lots of Kingfish. I have landed a Pickhandle, Garfish & Sand Gurnard recently on Fly & in my opinion the fishing has not really deteriorated. It seems to me the "resident" fish were hammered with the recent catastrophe but when the tide pushes in, the fish are coming into the harbour.

We have been fishing at 04:30 to avoid the cops, just last Sunday on my way out after fishing I saw the cops on their way to the spot where we fish. According to them it is "private property" & that is why we must leave. I have heard that SA is implementing USA Harbour laws (after 911) which means no civilians can be within the harbour area or something to that effect....

Yes, there are Sharks there. Last year one breeched the water about 150m from where I was wading, the next evening a fishing buddy saw a Zambesi lying in the shallows behind him when he was wading. They have always been around!!! A few years back a conventional fisherman who had fish on string tied to his waist was bitten by a Shark!! So yes, be careful when wading...

Cheers

Alan
    Born to fish, forced to work

The fly fishing in the harbour is only good for grunter but you gotta watch for them feeding in shallow water and present your fly without so much as a splash. Scittish fish. But you need to get out to the the center bank so you need a boat of sorts. and you do not wanna wade in the harbour either. Oh and lots of bartail flatheads as well,greedy little fellas. There is quite a nice bass place out near ballito. Otherwise the lagoon near the hawaan forest in umghlanga. the lagoon in Westbrook, off the rocks by the big tidal pool in umdhloti. Otherwise go to Kingfisher (55 Hunter street) and they will give you all the advice you need. Excellent place that one. The coast is full of awesome spots.

Quote Originally Posted by bluegill View Post
    Hi Rols

No one really seems to know what happened in the harbour. Funny though it was mainly in 2 spots where fish where dying, we seem to think it was some type of chemical pollution. I have been fishing in the Harbour recently & we are having good catches. The dropshot guys have been catching Pickhandle & lots of Kingfish. I have landed a Pickhandle, Garfish & Sand Gurnard recently on Fly & in my opinion the fishing has not really deteriorated. It seems to me the "resident" fish were hammered with the recent catastrophe but when the tide pushes in, the fish are coming into the harbour.

We have been fishing at 04:30 to avoid the cops, just last Sunday on my way out after fishing I saw the cops on their way to the spot where we fish. According to them it is "private property" & that is why we must leave. I have heard that SA is implementing USA Harbour laws (after 911) which means no civilians can be within the harbour area or something to that effect....

Yes, there are Sharks there. Last year one breeched the water about 150m from where I was wading, the next evening a fishing buddy saw a Zambesi lying in the shallows behind him when he was wading. They have always been around!!! A few years back a conventional fisherman who had fish on string tied to his waist was bitten by a Shark!! So yes, be careful when wading...

Cheers

Alan
    Thanks Alan
    Sounds like you guys are having some lekka fun there. Boy I wish I flyfished when we lived in Toti..
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

Hey Rols, Old Toti boy? We often fish down that way & all along the coast. I have been back for 3 years now after a stint in in Pretoria for 7 years. I lived in Umkomaas but was also a bait fisherman back then. The river used to be awesome but has deteriorated badly.

If any of you guys ever come this way, please let me know, we fish most weekends & usually get something....

Cheers

Alan

Howzit Alan, how goes it? Just got back from Kosi...Warwick's in France again. We gotta get some fishing done soon eh! So you reckon the harbour's not completely stuffed!!?? I'm keen if there's something biting there...very keen. Gimme a shout eh..That goes for the rest of you okes.

Shot, have a lekker weekend.
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by bluegill View Post
    Hey Rols, Old Toti boy? We often fish down that way & all along the coast. I have been back for 3 years now after a stint in in Pretoria for 7 years. I lived in Umkomaas but was also a bait fisherman back then. The river used to be awesome but has deteriorated badly.

If any of you guys ever come this way, please let me know, we fish most weekends & usually get something....

Cheers

Alan

Hi

Fishing of the sand bank is allowed.Was at the harbour about two weeks back.Got a few nice grunter as the tide was turning just off the sandbank.You can actually see them feeding on the cracker shrimps embedded in the sand.Oh just don't stand in the water and fish.One guy was taken by a tiger shark in kee deep water fishing off the sand bank.
    Mohammed Sujee

Quote Originally Posted by moesujee1@gmail.com View Post
    Hi

Fishing of the sand bank is allowed.Was at the harbour about two weeks back.Got a few nice grunter as the tide was turning just off the sandbank.You can actually see them feeding on the cracker shrimps embedded in the sand.Oh just don't stand in the water and fish.One guy was taken by a tiger shark in kee deep water fishing off the sand bank.
    Did you get those grunter on fly? What fly if you did?? Sure it wasn't a Zambezi shark that noshed the oke? I dunno about you but i'm willing to brave the sharks for good fishing..it goes with the territory.

I tried fishing at Durban harbour about 2 months ago, on a Sunday afternoon. I was fishing off the banks when the security guards told me I had to leave. I asked them why and they said "fishing is not allowed". I told them I wasn't going to catch anything anyway (as usual) so please let me fish for a while. They then went and called the cops and we all got into a rather heated debate (for a Sunday) about the law of property. It wasn't pleasant - so try to avoid the boys in blue if you're going to fish the harbour.

Murray

Hey Paul, any luck at Kosi? We took Shaun F to Isispingo (Ledges) & he got 5 Moonies on his first Saltwater outing, hows that!! Nothing huge but at least he got fish. We are planning to get to Treasure Beach this weekend so let me know if you are keen, then we can all go together as usual.

Cheers

Alan

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast