Thread: Back from Richtersveld

Default Back from Richtersveld

Hi Guys,

Got back from the Richtersveld yesterday. The trip went very well and was very relaxing. The fishing could have been a lot better but we managed to catch a fair amount of fish. The flow rate varied between 350 - 600 cumecs which made wading and fishing challenging to put it mildly. In my 9 years of fishing on the Orange I have never seen the water so high, fast and dirty ! We managed to catch LM & SM yellows, barbel and mudfish between 1kg and 2.5kg's and got broken up by some bigger fish. Once they got into the current they were very difficult to land. The couple of weeks leading up to the trip, I tied around 60 - 70 mainly czech nymphs - didn't help me as I left that box at home Tied up a couple while we were there and had the best success with a hotspot caddis in either chartreuse or brown.

Thanks to everyone for the advice and help before the trip. Will plan another trip for next year once the water has calmed down a bit.

Regards,
    Darryl
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

bummer about the flies, how was the boat ?

Quote Originally Posted by J Brink View Post
    bummer about the flies, how was the boat ?
    Hi John,

Didn't have space for the boat so it stayed behind. With the speed of the current, if we had launched it we would have been in Oranjemund about 10 minutes later Here is a pic of Kevin retrieving a stuck fly to give you an idea of the current.

kevin.jpg

Regards,
    Darryl
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

You really can see why they called it, The Orange, wow the water is the same color as the Cheetas Jersey...

How about some more pics, did you get one of the stars??
    Mike McKeown

You're either fishing or waiting...

Quote Originally Posted by MaXiMuM View Post
    You really can see why they called it, The Orange, wow the water is the same color as the Cheetas Jersey...

How about some more pics, did you get one of the stars??
    Hi Mike,

Will post more pics once I have sorted them out. Had beautiful stars every night as the moon came out after midnight. Considered photographing them but was too chilled to bother

Regards,
    Darryl

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Quote Originally Posted by dlampert View Post
    Considered photographing them but was too chilled to bother
    Awe No... those were the ones I wanted...
    Mike McKeown

You're either fishing or waiting...

Quote Originally Posted by dlampert View Post
    Hi Mike,

Will post more pics once I have sorted them out. Had beautiful stars every night as the moon came out after midnight. Considered photographing them but was too chilled to bother

Regards,
    Darryl
    Ha ha ha! Too chilled we were indeed!
    It was an awesome trip despite the high water.