Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nature's Valley (Grootrivier) lagoon

Smile Nature's Valley (Grootrivier) lagoon

I'm on holiday at nature's valley neat plett until 6 jan. Has anybody by any chance fished the lagoon and give me some advice concerning flies, spots, time of day etc.

I've only got my 5/6 wt here. Is it worth a try or will I only waste flies and break my rod?

Hi Danie, I have never fished Nature's Valley, and my saltwater experience is meager. But I would certainly give it a go with a 5/6. The leeries are mostly small so you shouldn't be undergunned, just find a sheltered spot or get the wind behind you and casting won't be an issue.

Leeries seem to love small poppers and flippers, Crawford Sports in Plett has some nice flies. The mouth should be open so incoming tide would be my choice. Not sure of possies though, the blokes at Plett Sports should be able to help you. I also saw a Flyfishing Clinic at Natures Valley advertised in one of the Plett tourist newsletters, can't remember the date.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Cool

Thanx! Yeah that clinic was today and I attended. It was pretty interesting. The guide showd us a few spots and techniques. I met a few other guys who are new to salt as well, who attended the clinic. We'll be fishing tomorow morning on the incoming tide and with our collective ignorence maybe we'll actualy catch something!

Bloody weather. I sure as hell thats the reason for my lack of results this morning. I'm tired of it being me

Hi Danie
    I am coming down to Natures on the 3/4th Jan. Still a flyfishing beginner but I have fished the lagoon with prawn and dropshot last year. I understand that the recent floods have changed the lagoon so I would be grateful for any info you may have picked up (re good spots and succesful flies) since you were there. Have you tried the Soutriver (flatrock) side? Last year there a lot of small elf out that way.
    Maybe could meet up if you are still down there when we arrive.

Good luck, have fun and leave some fish for us!

Howzit!

I've fished the Natures Valley lagoon several times. Try small clousers, flippers and charlies. Fish to target are small leerie/garrick, grunter (full up) and big mullet. You can try chumming for mullet off a canoe with bread, then throw a white dry flies into the mix! The river is extremely shallow, try finding the deep channel by poking your fly down into the water every now and then, as you can't see the bottom due to all the tanins

tight lines

Julian, Im here till the 6th so we can go give it a try. Haven't caught anything yet so I'm not sure about flies but I've snorkeled most of the laggoon, so I know were a lot of the channels and drop offs are. I'll pm you my number so you can give me a call. Check krokenosterfant's post for flies. Haven't tried soutrivier yet.

Blog Entries

Hi, my first session ever on the lagoon - fairly high up in a deeper channel. Caught and tagged a 52 cm Garrick and had a chase of similar size on a small white flipper and floating line. No action on clouser and pole dancer, but most likely only because no fish around at that stage. Will try another area tomorrow. Also an intermediate line. Regards Niel

At the end of Feb I will be at Plettenberg/Nature's Valley.
    Keep the news coming.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by Niel Malan View Post
    Hi, my first session ever on the lagoon - fairly high up in a deeper channel. Caught and tagged a 52 cm Garrick and had a chase of similar size on a small white flipper and floating line. No action on clouser and pole dancer, but most likely only because no fish around at that stage. Will try another area tomorrow. Also an intermediate line. Regards Niel
    Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    At the end of Feb I will be at Plettenberg/Nature's Valley.
    Keep the news coming.
    Any more luck Niel? When you going Korrie. I'm going to Nature's Valley end of March so will give the lagoon a go then for sure.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast