Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Crazy Charlie and Clouser

Red face Crazy Charlie and Clouser

Hi guys.

What's the difference between a Crazy Charlie and a Clouser. I've noticed some charlies with feathers. Could that be it? Both these flies look very much the same to me in design. Or am I missing something ?
    "Sometimes one pays most for the things one gets for nothing" - Einstein

IMHO:

Clousers are designed to immitate primarily minnows & baitfish, hence "Clouser Minnow"

Crazy Charlies are designed to immitate small crustaceans, shrimp and possibly even baitfish, depending on where it is fished.

For example: Along the KZN North Coast in the surf you will get takes from Wolf Herring, Pompano, Kingfish and a variety of other species on Clousers up to 10-15cm in length, but you will battle to get takes from say Bastard Mullet.

A Pink Charlie however will get you hammered by Bastard Mullet and not so much by any other fish.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieŽ" - Ago 2014.

Thank you Scythe.

So I take it your typical clouser fly would be a longer fly fished in open water and the charlie shorter and fished close to the bottom - hence the mud charlie.
    "Sometimes one pays most for the things one gets for nothing" - Einstein

I haven't been tying for long, but here goes. Both flies sort of follows the same style (eyes below with the hook riding up), but the main difference is the 'wing' length. Clousers are longer to imitate baitfish, while charlies are shorter too look more 'shrimpy'.
    Jacques

Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job. ~Paul Schullery

They're tied differently: Clousers have a (bucktail - in the original dressing) body tied just in front of & over the eyes - although some guys choose to omit this & still call the fly a Clousers. The original Crazy Charlie pattern (called the Nasty Charlie) has hackle tip wings. In SA, Doug Swannell's Grunter Charlie is tied with grizzly hackle tips.

Schythe I see that the bastards mullets are haunting you.
    Fish - Where?.................................het hom!!!!

Coop, when I lie in my bed, i'm still feeling the wave action moving my legs and that damned third wave knocking the air out of me!

Tied my first few flies on the Renzetti, started off with a new LM fly based on some tidbits I picked up while watching you build those semplers.

Next item on the shopping list:

White Bucktail
    Chartreuse Bucktail
    Olive Bucktail
    Pink calf's tail
    Silly legs

Roll on February !
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieŽ" - Ago 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    Coop, when I lie in my bed, i'm still feeling the wave action moving my legs and that damned third wave knocking the air out of me!

Tied my first few flies on the Renzetti, started off with a new LM fly based on some tidbits I picked up while watching you build those semplers.

Next item on the shopping list:

White Bucktail
    Chartreuse Bucktail
    Olive Bucktail
    Pink calf's tail
    Silly legs

Roll on February !
    So did u get any GT's?

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    IMHO:

Mullet.

A Pink Charlie however will get you hammered by Bastard Mullet and not so much by any other fish.
    Excuse my ignorance, BWTF is a bastard Mullet???
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

I think it's what we called a threadfin in Aussie. A mullet-looking fish with a big nose and 'barbels' underneath it's belly. They could thus sense shrimp, prawns, crabs and the like in murky conditions mainly in estuaries - I think it's a similar species here? Warmish water guess east coast only in SA?? Not very big guys, maiunly around a kilogram or so? Crazy Charlies would be good for them - I caught the odd one east coast Oz - strange looking fish, mind you they probably said the same about me!

Think I'll give early tomorrow a miss, got big son's and daughter's parties to attend and supervise lifts home..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast