Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: The hardcore fly-tyer...breaking the rules!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Elliott View Post
    Mike, how the heck do you tie a zak that quickly? Do you use the original pattern with stripped pecock herl and "plaiting"?
    I think it’s in the preparation; I soak the Peacock Hearl in benzene for a few minutes then strip them with an eraser. I do about 10 at a time and normally buy 2 packets at a time, so when you open my tying kit, you will see 2 packets, 1 stripped, 1 non.. I do this while watching TV or something else…

I said somewhere else, I try tie my fly’s in sets, and will try do 4 or 5 in a size, starting big and then going smaller, the first one might take 5 minutes to get the proportions correct, but there after, I just follow what worked before.

No I don’t plat, I spin, its just a style, so you don’t have to be perfect, also they are designed to catch fish, not fishermen…

I also tie patterns that take a bit of time, but they look scruffy and aren’t exactly to the “book”, but they still catch fish, the fly’s I take time to tie are Parachute Styles, only because of the Para Post…

Keep It Simple Stupid.

Armand, I have spoken to someone who has see your BOX’s, I think he saw 3, and was quite blown away, please will you take a pick and post it???
    Mike McKeown

You're either fishing or waiting...

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    As promised, some pictures of my spider like flies. Note, no two exactly alike....but all essentially the same thing

Attachment 138
    Hi Chris,

The top pic looks very much like one Neil ties, and has good success with. I tie my Klinkies in a very similar way, obviously minus the tail. You should try and tie up some patterns using CDC, it adds a hell of a lot of movement to the fly !

Regards,
    Darryl
    Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Quote Originally Posted by dlampert View Post
    Hi Chris,

The top pic looks very much like one Neil ties, and has good success with. I tie my Klinkies in a very similar way, obviously minus the tail. You should try and tie up some patterns using CDC, it adds a hell of a lot of movement to the fly !

Regards,
    Darryl
    Yeah, pretty much the same...also parachute style. I think 100's of guys tie something similar to this though...nothing new to it. Only difference with mine is that I bend the rules more with to regard to proportions. My hackles are longer and sparser.....more spider like. I agree about the CDC.
    Last edited by Chris Shelton; 23-11-06 at 06:34 PM.
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3