Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Donaldson dam, Westonaria

Default Donaldson dam, Westonaria

Hi

Does anyone have any experience fly fishing at Donaldson Dam in Westonaria? Took a drive around the dam today, but did not fish.

The place seems to be well frequented by the coarse carp anglers.
    There is a "private" specimen area -- I assume that's where their well-publicised 26 kg carp are kept -- and a nice sized public dam. I assume there are bass and catfish there as well.

It looks like a lovely place to fish a float tube, and only 45 mins from Sandton.

Any info would be appreciated.

No I have'nt, but I just GE'ed it and I dont know if I would feel safe fishing it...
    Mike McKeown

You're either fishing or waiting...

From a personal safety persepctive, it seemed fine, or as fine as things go these days - fenced off, with a caretaker on site. There is an informal settlement up the road, but these are not contiguous. There were a number of people camping there with kids, etc. (Would go in the week to avoide these though).
    But as I said, I just drove around it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Louw View Post
    From a personal safety persepctive, it seemed fine, or as fine as things go these days - fenced off, with a caretaker on site. There is an informal settlement up the road, but these are not contiguous. There were a number of people camping there with kids, etc. (Would go in the week to avoide these though).
    But as I said, I just drove around it.
    I have heard that safety can be an issue at Donaldson.
    There are stories of folks being robbed at both gun and knife point.
    I strongly advise going in a group and dont leave any items unguarded.
    The same can be said for Harties.
    I heard stories a family who were robbed while they were sleeping.
    They stole the mans pistol and the blanket off his little baby. , sad!
    Daryl Human

The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

I have also paid a visit to the dam with a view to fishing it from an inflatable canoe. According to the caretaker and some teenagers who were camping there at the time there are indeed bass, barbel and of course carp in the dam.

What I do like about the place is that keepnets are banned, strictly catch, photo and release!

I would however advise to go with at least one other person, and if using float tubes leave your car locked at the caretakers little house, and not at the water.

As with everything else in this wonderfull country of ours, a little common sense used can avoid a lot of trauma.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Herman

Leaving the car at the caretaker's house is a good idea. Any interest in going out there one day, midweek or weekend?

Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Louw View Post
    Herman

Leaving the car at the caretaker's house is a good idea. Any interest in going out there one day, midweek or weekend?

Stephen
    Stephen, at this stage I'm "tied" to the Vaal whilst the flows are still fishable. I'm basically considering Donaldson as a back up if the Vaal gets unfishable. At the rate it's raining this could happen sooner than later.
    A sunday could be on at Donaldson 'cos once in the water you can move well away from the bank anglers and get accross to the far side near the reed beds, where rumour has it there are monster bass and carp.
    PM me your e-mail and we can keep in touch.

Default Donaldson Dam

Hi Guys

I stay in Randfontein,so we are very close to the Dam.We always drive past the dam on our way to the vaal.Yes there is bass in the dam ,some off my friends have been and caught some nice ones.But the guys says that if one goes,please be in a group as safety is a problem.Has anyone been to the dam and what is the fishing like.

Default Donaldson Bass

Donaldson is loaded with millions of small bass. We catch them while waiting for a run on the specimen carp rods....good fun on my soft Daiwa 5# rod....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dallas; 18-04-10 at 07:28 PM.
    if i could eat, sleep and breathe fishing.....i would...

Quote Originally Posted by Dallas View Post
    Donaldson is loaded with millions of small bass. We catch them while waiting for a run on the specimen carp rods....good fun on my soft Daiwa 5# rod....
    Dallas, are you fishing the top "trophy dam" or the lower, general public dam ?

Are keepnets still banned ?. I was last there a looong time ago?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast