Blonde
    Brunette
    Redhead

Just a thought

G
    Fixed........

Quote Originally Posted by jock0 View Post
    "on Dad!"
    Hook, line and sinker unfortunately nicholas, as the guys have been taking the mickey. I get some of my weird and wonderful materials from the pta zoo, I know Chris W collected all sorts of feathers during his shipping travels during the 1800's and Wiets orders them in bulk etc.
    ooooooooh i get it now come up with the most unlikley tying material, i.e the Duck bill platterpus,or maybe OMR picked up some DODO on his travels

My father was right again (dammmm) Nicholas "do not get involved in conversations you no nothing about"
    I think no innocent species of wit or pleasantry should be suppressed; and that a good pun may be admitted among the smaller excellencies of lively conversation.
    James Boswell.

[T]his planet is covered with sordid men who demand that he who spends time fishing shall show returns in fish. ~Leonidas Hubbard, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by jock0 View Post
    Thought it would be interesting to see what "exotic" natural materials some of the forumites collect and use even though they might not be the most suitable material for a specific application. Some of the members have really impressive collections so here's hoping they'll share some pics and stories.

My contribution - #10 control caddis, 3.2mm tungsten bead and lead wraps, siberian tiger fur mixed with uv caeli batis (spelling?) as the abdomen and holo brown as the thorax. I havent fished the fly yet but it looks like the tiger fur gives a really "buggy" finish and is probably better suited to emergers or nymphs rather than control flies. White tiger fur courtesy of a "volunteer" at Pretoria zoo

A couple of times a month I come across fresh Cape Fur Seal bodies on the beach - adults and babies. Sometimes they have been chewed but other times they are perfect. Anyone know of someone who would be willing to skin it and cure the skin for fly tying ?
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Quote Originally Posted by dlampert View Post
    A couple of times a month I come across fresh Cape Fur Seal bodies on the beach - adults and babies. Sometimes they have been chewed but other times they are perfect. Anyone know of someone who would be willing to skin it and cure the skin for fly tying ?
    Taxidermist ?

Ja, I had thought of that but possibly a pricey option for flytying material.
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Quote Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
    ooooooooh i get it now come up with the most unlikley tying material, i.e the Duck bill platterpus,or maybe OMR picked up some DODO on his travels

My father was right again (dammmm) Nicholas "do not get involved in conversations you no nothing about"
    Almost My initial post was serious, Chris W does actually have a very good collection of stuff and wiets really does buy all sorts of weird and wondeful things. The rest is drivel for a bit of a laugh

The intention of my post was to try and see what the guys use these materials for - GGY and MC seem to use water mongoose gaurd hairs for RAB's, Maximum is very partial to using seals fur when tying a particular emerger etc.

Dlampert - surely you dont need to skin the whole carcass? Just skin a piece off, boil and rinse it (mission), salt and borax and you should be in business
    Check your knots!

I can already picture that - Darryl skinning this seal on the beach and as the joggers come past he wipes the blood across his cheek and licks the knife HAHAHA
    Daryl Human

The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

Quote Originally Posted by dizzy View Post
    I can already picture that - Darryl skinning this seal on the beach and as the joggers come past he wipes the blood across his cheek and licks the knife HAHAHA
    So you understand my problem It's hard enough stopping my two border collies eating the damn things without being attacked by irate bunny hugger grannies calling for a proper burial

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Quote Originally Posted by dlampert View Post
    Hi Darryl.
    The West coast seals have completely different fur to the ones you can buy in the fly shops in Europe, USA.
    I have some that have been done all of the above.
    Willing to supply you with a patch.
    Ties awesome nymphs etc.
    Lovely guard hairs, with beautiful under fur.
    Dying is easy for different shades.
    Remind me about the offer next time you see me.

Korrie

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    Hi Darryl.
    The West coast seals have completely different fur to the ones you can buy in the fly shops in Europe, USA.
    I have some that have been done all of the above.
    Willing to supply you with a patch.
    Ties awesome nymphs etc.
    Lovely guard hairs, with beautiful under fur.
    Dying is easy for different shades.
    Remind me about the offer next time you see me.

Korrie
    Thanks Korrie

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast