Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sanddrif - Cederberg

Thanks guys. Can't wait to get out there
    Rudolph
    No matter how busy you may think you are, you must find time for reading, or surrender yourself to self-chosen ignorance.
    Confucius

Great weekend, but no yellows to report. Didn't do too much prospecting, but did manage to land 8 bass
    Rudolph
    No matter how busy you may think you are, you must find time for reading, or surrender yourself to self-chosen ignorance.
    Confucius

Time spent fishing is still time spent fishing

Did you see YellowFish at all ?
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieŽ" - Ago 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    Time spent fishing is still time spent fishing

Did you see YellowFish at all ?
    Saturday morning I landed a bass and shortly after that I hooked into something with a lot more fight. Three bumps and the line broke I fished an intermediate line, but I didn't bother to change the tippet(last used approx 12 months ago).

The opther 7 bass I caught didn't put up a fight at all, so I'm assuming it must have been a yellow. Pools were very deep, with heavily reeded banks, so spotting was a bit tough.

I only fished upstream. Had to spend some time with the family, so I never ventured downstream
    Rudolph
    Confucius

Also, the bridge, if you paddle up there the water gets quite deep and narrow and you can see the Yellowfish swimming in shoals. Sadly Bass are taking over this part of the river. Bass are bad because they eat the indigenous baby Yellowfish. Also if you venture up the road that goes up the mountain, you will find that the roads veers to the left in two places down to the river, each leads to lovely pools. Hippo pool/maalgat is a place where you can get some nice sized yellowfish and some Sawfin. It is quite hard to fish there due to swimmers and other people fishing. You can try and bush whack down from there but it is not for the faint hearted! The path that leads to Maalgat goes past some nice sets pools you can climb down to fishing there but its not easy. Below the car palk there is a nice pool where you can fish. I have never done this before, but apparently while driver to Kromrivier there is a path/road that leads down to a pool called "Visgat" it can only mean one thing: big fish! Some dams around the vineyards look good for Carp, never tried fishing them (not even sure if it is allowed!) but you can always try. Nice big pool on the Dwars river which join the Matjies (sanddrif river) you can get to it by turning left down a road that leads from the Cederberg Wine Celler/Dwars river farm stall, (if you are confused it is the road which leads to Sanddrif resort. As Turns said you do get some nice trout in the Krom. Never tried the dam above the Camping area at Krom river, but it looks good. I dont know if this helps but I hope it does.
    Last edited by BenDerman; 27-05-16 at 05:20 PM.

6. Default

Thanks Ben for the info,

Fished there once years back, beautiful spot.

We fished about 1 odd km up from the cellar, great water, but hit it on a cold front and the fishing was slow, mainly LM bass. Buddies who have been there after caught many Clan sawfins at Maalgate.

Special place!

Tel +27 21 855 2646 Web - www.winelandsflyfishing.co.za
    E-mail info@winelandsflyfishing.co.za

Shop - Trips - Tuition - Custom Flies

7. Default

Have to say - Off Topic,

Mount Ceder is also great, with plenty potential to hook into a decent Clan Yellow.

8. Default

Last edited by Winelands Fly Fishing; 27-05-16 at 08:13 PM.

Did the Mount Cedar on 2 trips, SADLY BASS ONLY.
    hiked upstream from the accomodation, STUNNING WATER, LOVELY POOLS But got only BASS.
    We hiked for about 5 hours upstream. really stunning to hike up,
    Cape Nature should worry more about the bass and glue gill than the trout which is their public enemy nr 1.
    But I have heard of some good Clan Yellows that have been caught there.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Sadly, I had exactly the same experience as Korrie at Mt Ceder. Bass and Bluegills until they came out my ears, but not a Yellow to be seen anywhere, just rumours of yellows. At first I thought it was me, not doing it right, but after a while I decided there were just too many Bluegills in particular and that the Yellows are gone.
    Last edited by DJR; 28-05-16 at 04:53 PM.
    Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job - Paul Scullery

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast