8 44.44%
  • Gurgler

0 0%
  • Flipper

10 55.56%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: If you had to choose just one saltwater surface lure

Arrow If you had to choose just one saltwater surface lure

"Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

I voted for a (white) popper - but if I was tying my own lures .. it would be a flipper!! .... takes about three minutes to "tie" - I even attach the foam with little cable ties!! ... crude but effective!!!
    I always wanted to be somebody,but now I realize I should have been more specific.
    Alcohol is the anaesthesia by which we endure the operation of life. GBS

ja, definatly a toss up between a popper and a flipper. In most estuaries, the water remains relatively calm in most weather conditions, so the gentler action of the flipper will still be visible. Also, a popper tends to have a far more erratic action which is more attractive to the leeries, but smaller fish tend to miss it sometimes. I think in the calmer waters of the Bitou river estuary in particular, I have found a flipper to be more effective, although only slightly. Another good technique is to use a popper, with a lightly dressed, unweighted deciever, dragging about 30cm behind the popper., with a slower strip than if you were using a popper on it's own. It may be cheating, but it works. sometimes gets kob as well.

flipper by a country mile...........
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

Quote Originally Posted by swsmith View Post
    flipper by a country mile...........
    .......but the popper does it with a bit more style......
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Ag no Chris,
    not another limerick

Why you cant choose beforehand, i'd take them all and see what works on the day !!! And take them in different sizes.

I've even seen leervis change on the hour. So you never know, change fly untill they take again.

I agree with Smith the Snadvlei leerie slayer's sentiment. Flipper by a country mile. Cant remember the last time I used a popper.

Main reason is csting. Cast a 5/0 flipper in a howling S Easter, and then cast a nice 5/0 cup faced popper....

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
    Why you cant choose beforehand, i'd take them all and see what works on the day !!! And take them in different sizes.

I've even seen leervis change on the hour. So you never know, change fly untill they take again.
    Pierre,you must take that sunscreen off your hands thats why it changes from hour to hour.......you start catching when it wears off....
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Garage View Post
    I agree with Smith the Snadvlei leerie slayer's sentiment. Flipper by a country mile. Cant remember the last time I used a popper.

Main reason is csting. Cast a 5/0 flipper in a howling S Easter, and then cast a nice 5/0 cup faced popper....
    Woosies!
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast