Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: "Blue"

Default "Blue"

Gents, why is blue not a good tying colour? I mean the caddis larve found in the Vaal are a blue-ish green-ish colour!!!

Who told you that?

Check Billhansford-Steele's book, there is a fly which he rated quite highly, and its is a blue nymph!
    Daryl Human

The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

A buddy of mine swears by blue and or purple nymphs for some of his secret waters. They work, I've seen the pics.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Who said it isn't a good colour, check Bill Hansford-Steele's writings on the Smilie Nymph and what do you think a Grey Flashgun and Black Flashback nymph is other than blue ?

Well the traditional variants at least.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieŽ" - Ago 2014.

Some blue flash in some of my Vaal patterns soemtimes is all Doctor Fish is prescribing
    PK

I am haunted by waters - Norman Maclean

Good to know! I heard or read (cant remember when) a comment that "blue is not a particularly good tying colour".

Quote Originally Posted by C J View Post
    Good to know! I heard or read (cant remember when) a comment that "blue is not a particularly good tying colour".
    Look, it is like any other colours, sometimes it rocks, sometimes it just don't pay off. If I say I use blue, it is rarely as dubbing, feather, or such, normally only flash, dark blue flash works best(electric blue I believe they call it). I also found sometimes instead of just going crazy with it to put just a strand or two in between other flash.
    Last edited by pieterkriel; 21-01-08 at 11:23 AM.
    PK

I am haunted by waters - Norman Maclean

Also the original Invicta has some blue hackle tied in as well.

Quote Originally Posted by C J View Post
    Don't believe a word of what you have heard or read. Blue can be an absolute killer on the day. Our Ozzi mate, Kevin Elliot will confirm this aswell, I'm sure
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

That's right, Gerrit, I think the understanding of old Ogden who invented the magical Invicta was that this was to represent caddis pupa legs/'air bubble' colour. Of course fish will also attack blue adult damsel flies. As guys say electric blue is good for flash for black wooly buggers because you can't really get as flashy/contrasting in blask which also can't be fluorescent. I also think blue occurs very seldon in nature as a colour of natural food. Of course fishes' backs like mackerel etc are blue. Blue and purple can be good for deepwater nymphs. Purple at depth turns 'white' or that's what I'm told the fish see it as. IMHO blue whilst it can be used, is probably the least flexible out of any primary/secondary colours. I still have lots of blue jay for my favourite Invicta which I still use as a caddis emerger on the Vaal. Guinea fowl hackle dyed sky blue/turquoise is an excellent sub, and also has the bonus of being more readily available and less stiff than the blue jay quill which you often have to soak in water to make it pliable if you're going to do a full hackle, not a strip of feathe rfibres for a mere throat hackle.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast