Thread: NZ Flyfishing Nationals

Question NZ Flyfishing Nationals

Just a short update on local news as we have been so quiet here in NZ. The NZ Nationals were held over the last four days. Competitors fish two lakes and two rivers over four days. Garth Plank, a member of this site must be congratulated for his tenth place position. This feat now elevates him from his current position in the NZ Commonwealth team to the National team. Unfortunately this is not for this years World champs but stands him in good stead for the next round.

Garth will be in the commonwealth team for the games in Hawkes Bay, NZ later this year. Lets see if it is a repeat of the rugby or will the Kiwi's get one back this time. I would be up for a small wager on the ferns considering home ground advantage. Any takers

Quote Originally Posted by mikeh View Post
    I would be up for a small wager on the ferns considering home ground advantage. Any takers
    Ok then Mike.

I wager the contents (only) of this empty box in front of me against anything you care to wager that some; if not all; of the competitors wll catch a few fish.

he he....... Thanks for the update for NZ and a big UP to Garth Plank for his achievement
    The best day to go fishing is any day that ends in a "y"

Well done Garth!

BTW. Has the SA team for the world champs been decided?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Elliott View Post
    Well done Garth!

BTW. Has the SA team for the world champs been decided?
    Almost, the Protea trials are being fished from Monday next if I am not mistaken. Under the new selection format the top 2 are already in, i.e. Mark and Gary, they are so far ahead on points that no-one can catch them.

A bird whispered in my ear that MC's boss virtually gave him an ultimatum. Fish the trials and when you get back your desk will be clean.
    If correct his boss should be hung, drawn, quartered, minced and given to Tropical fish tank owners.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Jooste View Post
    Almost, the Protea trials are being fished from Monday next if I am not mistaken. Under the new selection format the top 2 are already in, i.e. Mark and Gary, they are so far ahead on points that no-one can catch them.
    Trials are 24-27 Jan (this week) in natal Midlands - Lake Le Seur & Upper Bushmens & Upper Little Mooi.
    With the new format, which is points based, Mark & I qualify already, but the next 3 spots in the Protea team are not certain, especially since a number of qualifying trialists (MC, Johan) are not competing.

Presidents team is more open, with only Philip Meyer being assurede of his spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Jooste View Post
    A bird whispered in my ear that MC's boss virtually gave him an ultimatum. Fish the trials and when you get back your desk will be clean.
    If correct his boss should be hung, drawn, quartered, minced and given to Tropical fish tank owners.
    Conjecture - not what I heard from MC, but then, maybe he decided to omit that part.
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

Quote Originally Posted by mikeh View Post
    Just a short update on local news as we have been so quiet here in NZ. The NZ Nationals were held over the last four days. Competitors fish two lakes and two rivers over four days. Garth Plank, a member of this site must be congratulated for his tenth place position. This feat now elevates him from his current position in the NZ Commonwealth team to the National team. Unfortunately this is not for this years World champs but stands him in good stead for the next round.

Garth will be in the commonwealth team for the games in Hawkes Bay, NZ later this year. Lets see if it is a repeat of the rugby or will the Kiwi's get one back this time. I would be up for a small wager on the ferns considering home ground advantage. Any takers
    Mike, it seems our cricketers were the last to suffer "Choking" in the 20/20 tournament. These things go in pairs I think. You guys did the rugger choke....We'll do the soccer "Africa cup of nations" splutter...Our fishing boys will now stuff up my theory of pairs and simply choke you guys with our superior strong vaal 7x tippet, and bring the trophy to stand next to the Web Ellis, as that soccer one just aint coming here for a while
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by GGY View Post
    Trials are 24-27 Jan (this week) in natal Midlands - Lake Le Seur & Upper Bushmens & Upper Little Mooi.
    With the new format, which is points based, Mark & I qualify already, but the next 3 spots in the Protea team are not certain, especially since a number of qualifying trialists (MC, Johan) are not competing.

Presidents team is more open, with only Philip Meyer being assurede of his spot.

Conjecture - not what I heard from MC, but then, maybe he decided to omit that part.
    I told Herman that, but not quite as harsh... MC's non attendance is related to work pressure, but certainly not as critical as Herman has put it.
    It was more of a boss/employee joke with a tounge in cheek dig at priorities.
    Sorry to have created the wrong impression Herman...damn...damage control again.

Rols
    It seems all the teams are prone to pressure, it just depends on the circumstances. Look at the Aussies in the cricket. When they are allowed to play the game their way (sledging and aggro) they do well, ask them to be gentlemen on the field and it all goes pear shaped.

I am sure it will be a fierce tussle between the two flowers, proteas and ferns. It would be interesting to know what the results of the last Commonwealths and World Champs were in relation to the two. Anybody know?