Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Budget tiger venues

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Wellington, NZ
    Posts
    898

    Default Budget tiger venues

    Anyone know of venues for tigerfish that are still within reach of the average South African? Most of the websites (Zambezi) I found are quoting dollar prices which work out to thousands of rand per day

    Accomodation limit of around R 500 / day.

    The most reasonable places I found so far seems to be Kalizo Lodge & Island View Lodge in Namibia.
    Last edited by ebf; 21-11-06 at 01:36 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Vanderbijlpark
    Posts
    7,319

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    Anyone know of venues for tigerfish that are still within reach of the average South African? Most of the websites (Zambezi) I found are quoting dollar prices which work out to thousands of rand per day

    Accomodation limit of around R 500 / day.

    The most reasonable places I found so far seems to be Kalizo Lodge & Island View Lodge in Namibia.
    Your quite right on the over the border venues There is good tiger fishing available both at jozini as well as the Komatipoort area. The lodges regularly advertize in Stywe lyne, with their websites as well.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Durban
    Posts
    2,685

    Default

    I reckon Jozini dam up the top end of KZN, just before Pongola ought to be fairly reasonable ? Couple of mates have been and it didn't sound like it cost an arm and a leg.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sunninghill JHB
    Posts
    2,307

    Default

    There are a few who recognoze the South African connection and offer better rates with proof of South Africanism's... I will go though my black book and find a spot or 2. latter...
    Mike McKeown

    You're either fishing or waiting...

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Dullstroom, Mpumalanga
    Posts
    8,534

    Default

    Have you guys explored the Kavango River in the Caprivi? I was fortunate to be based right on the river at a place called Buffalo during my 32 Battalion national service years. There are plenty of tigers and bream in the river. I am sure that access could be obtained at a number of spots along the river on a shoe string budget. I have often thought about revisiting my old base, which was flattened after 32 was disbanded. What fond memories I have of that place.....sigh...hippos rubbing themselves up against the corner posts of our reed huts and that kind of thing. Plenty of crocs in the river though. We used to position ourselves on one of the many sand islands and one guy would plug away at the channel while the rest of us kept vigil over a couple of frosties. We would take turns, basically always one guy would be fishing, until a fish was picked up, then we would all grab our rods and before long all would be into a tiger. The tigers move up and down the channels in shoals, and it is very seldom that you will ever catch a single isolated fish. Very much like leerie fishing actually.
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    North of the boerewors curtain
    Posts
    2,182

    Default

    Get a hold of a zim fishing magazine if possible. The reason you think its so costly is that 95% of the adverts you have seen are for "lodges" that cater more towards international tourists looking for a safari experience rather than fishing. Unfortunately our northern neighbours are a bit behind the times as far as internet advertising goes.

    Have a look at the price of lodges around Deka in Zim, any of the 10 lodges/guesthouses in and around Chirundu or slightly down river at mana pools. The expensive part is boat hire if you dont have one and this will probably run you about R500 a day for a driver and fuel.

    It is far cheaper than botswana or namibia and probably a bit closer too considerring that there is a "highway" all the way to the zambian border. Take all your own groceries except bread, meat and milk. You should take some of your own fuel just in case but will pay around 15US cents per litre as a levy at the border.

    Fishing in dams for tiger is like fishing for trout in stillwater. They might be heavier but they arent nearly as feisty or good looking - an 8lb chirundu tiger will fight harder than a dam fish of probably 3 times its weight. If you just want to catch one though, jozini is a good bet.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Table View,CT
    Posts
    691

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    Have you guys explored the Kavango River in the Caprivi? I was fortunate to be based right on the river at a place called Buffalo during my 32 Battalion national service years. There are plenty of tigers and bream in the river. I am sure that access could be obtained at a number of spots along the river on a shoe string budget. I have often thought about revisiting my old base, which was flattened after 32 was disbanded. What fond memories I have of that place.....sigh...hippos rubbing themselves up against the corner posts of our reed huts and that kind of thing. Plenty of crocs in the river though. We used to position ourselves on one of the many sand islands and one guy would plug away at the channel while the rest of us kept vigil over a couple of frosties. We would take turns, basically always one guy would be fishing, until a fish was picked up, then we would all grab our rods and before long all would be into a tiger. The tigers move up and down the channels in shoals, and it is very seldom that you will ever catch a single isolated fish. Very much like leerie fishing actually.
    Chris

    When were you at 32 and what outfit?I did a 4 month stint there in '86(I was a kanon donkie).We went on one of the last big ops from there.It was an awesome place wonder what it looks like now?I particularly remember the elephants!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Dullstroom, Mpumalanga
    Posts
    8,534

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Chris

    When were you at 32 and what outfit?I did a 4 month stint there in '86(I was a kanon donkie).We went on one of the last big ops from there.It was an awesome place wonder what it looks like now?I particularly remember the elephants!
    Hi Arthur. I was there in 1980 and 1981. Was the time of all the big OPS's.....Protea, Carnation, Zulu, etc. I was in Alpha company with Tony Nienaber and 'Vet Dup'

    Was an awesome experience, 6 weeks in the bush (in Angola) and 6 weeks in rest back at Buffalo in the Caprivi before the next 6 week Angola bush stint again. As you can imagine....lots of fishing in the 6 weeks rest periods!

    Buffalo no longer exists as we knew it. Everything was flattened when Namibia gained independence
    Last edited by Chris Shelton; 22-11-06 at 11:56 AM.
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Table View,CT
    Posts
    691

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    Hi Arthur. I was there in 1980 and 1981. Was the time of all the big OPS's.....Protea, Carnation, Zulu, etc. I was in Alpha company with Tony Nienaber and 'Vet Dup'

    Was an awesome experience, 6 weeks in the bush (in Angola) and 6 weeks in rest back at Buffalo in the Caprivi before the next 6 week Angola bush stint again. As you can imagine....lots of fishing in the 6 weeks rest periods!

    Buffalo no longer exists as we knew it. Everything was flattened when Namibia gained independence
    Ja the "good old bad old days".

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •