Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Trout Venues JHB

Default Trout Venues JHB

Hi Ladies and Gents,

Firstly, thanks for the wealth of knowledge being shared on this forum. It's great to have all the like-minded folk sharing ideas.

I am looking for places to go fishing this weekend, and I'm even considering visiting a trout farm . Does anyone have any other suggestions for me?

Thanks,
    Devlin

Quote Originally Posted by dpammenter View Post
    Hi Ladies and Gents,

Firstly, thanks for the wealth of knowledge being shared on this forum. It's great to have all the like-minded folk sharing ideas.

I am looking for places to go fishing this weekend, and I'm even considering visiting a trout farm . Does anyone have any other suggestions for me?

Thanks,
    Devlin
    Hi Devlin and welcome. There are a bumber of trout farms around the northern parts of Jhb. They advertise in the TCFF as well as Stywe Lyne. If it's yellows your after then it's either any one of the venues on the vaal or Magalie Barbus Haven, or the famous Stream X ( only known to 2 people, of which I am definately not one )
    Sorry Mike, just had to tease about the last one.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Thanks Herman,

I think I'll try Brookwood 'cos it's not too far from me.

If i have any joy, I'll post details.

D

Hi
    Better than Brookwood, try Kloofzicht (accepts day visitors) or Malina (membership only). Not much in the way of trout this time of year though, the heat is killing them. Malina has great carp, and is next door to Brookwood.
    Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Jooste View Post
    Hi Devlin and welcome. There are a bumber of trout farms around the northern parts of Jhb. They advertise in the TCFF as well as Stywe Lyne. If it's yellows your after then it's either any one of the venues on the vaal or Magalie Barbus Haven, or the famous Stream X ( only known to 2 people, of which I am definately not one )
    Sorry Mike, just had to tease about the last one.
    Oh you crack me up... HA HA HA...
    Mike McKeown

You're either fishing or waiting...

From your posts, I think you are a newbie???

If so Brookwood or Rainbow Trout farm will do you well, for trout. However you have to pay for what you catch, per kilo... I am not a fan of these venues, but they do server a purpose.

My suggestion is more like this...

Most of the fly shops do an afternoon fishing trip on Sundays, since you say you live near Brookwood, I think you should go see Malcolm and Marshall at the Fly Rod and Reel, Fly-Fishing shop in Heathway Centre. Malcolm almost always goes on a Sunday, leaving at about 10AM. You will learn more just sitting in the car for 2 hours, with the other guys, than spending a whole day flogging the water at Brooks...

Alternatively, take the money you would have spent at that venue (it could be more than R200) and go get some tuition from Murray on tying, or Mark on casting, or Dean on anything...

Anyway, just my thoughts…
    Mike McKeown

Hi Max,

in a sense, yes, i am a newbie - but that's only to fishing up here in jhb, and this forum. i've only recently moved up here from the cape where i've been fishing (and tying) for the last few years.

unfortunately due to work constraints, i've not had that many opportunities to go fishing, but this weekend is open and i'm DESPERATE! i'm not particularly interested in catch-and-take at all, so if these trout farms are all run in that manner, they won't be seeing me.

thanks for your suggestion - it seems that it would be more beneficial to me to go with guys like Malcolm.

thanks again to everybody for the warm welcome and the helpful advice. this is one of the reasons i love fly fishing!
    the patient mental...

Then you better join us on that Vaal trip... lokking forward to meeting you...
    Mike McKeown

Quote Originally Posted by MaXiMuM View Post
    Then you better join us on that Vaal trip... lokking forward to meeting you...
    is this the Vaal trip on the 9th dec?
    the patient mental...

Thats when it is, why, you bailing before you even agreed to it...
    Mike McKeown

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast