Thread: Rig Setups..

Default Rig Setups..

Could you guys please give me your opinions regarding the different rig / fly setups for sm?
    Advantages, preferneces etc..
    I started with the three fly rig..
    but also used the two fly tandem rig..
    circly hooks and normal hooks or a combination..
    the only problem that I have found with the 3 fly rig is that when it gets tangled you struggle alot more to sort it out than with the 2 fly tandem rig..
    but will i lose out on effectiveness by only using the 2 fly setup?

If you're getting major tangles with a three fly rig, then your setup isn't right.

The three fly rig is used mostly in competitive angling and only really serves it's purpose when fished properly (ie: you know you're tying the top dropper as an emerger of the following colour because that is what is hatching and moving in that part of the water v the point fly which is fly X for reason Y)

IMNSHO, Fishing three flies 'just because' won't get you into more fish, you'd be better off with just two tied Truck & Trailer (to quote another member of this forum) Fishing three flies won't make you a better angler, knowing WHY you're fishing three flies and what their individual purposes are, that will make you a better angler and possibly get you into more fish.

There have been some discussions about the use of 3 fly over 2 fly rig for SmallMouth before. Use the search function on the forum & you'll find some more information regarding.

For my money, if I am CZN, then I fish three flies, but will often revert to two if I keep getting hookups on primarily the control and point flies. Mostly I will be fishing dry & dropper though or a nice big fat bugger
    Last edited by Scythe; 28-01-08 at 11:41 AM.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    Mostly I will be fishing dry & dropper though or a nice big fat bugger
    What will you class as a "nice big fat bugger "?

Thanks for the reply..
    Another thing about the two fly rig that I would like to know is if there are a big difference in tying the point fly new zealand style onto the hook bend or tying it to the eye of the control fly?
    Are circle hooks better or not?

In my view scuds are better for hook ups,circles r good for not getting stuck ALL the time,the latter in bigger sizes aren't bad for hook ups either.

I personally don't fish circles smaller than size 10,providing we're talking Mustad here.

Also ur not suppose to strike with circles,with a scenario of fishing both in your set up,how do u know which one of the 2 or 3 flies r being taken.Do u leave it or do u strike?

It boils down to preverance,some loves it,others don't.

My foul hook

G

I usually use size 12 hooks circle or normal ones but thats the problem I foresee with the circle in that you cant strike on it and you are supposed to strike unless you get a positive take.. but i have found that they dont hook the bottom that much.. but in the end I would rather have more fish hooked up..?

Quote Originally Posted by Cobus View Post
    What will you class as a "nice big fat bugger "?
    Anything from #10 long shank up to a #2 ?

I have tied some nice flies on a #10 Bass Bug hook, I'll post a picture of it later.

Quote Originally Posted by Dieter View Post
    Another thing about the two fly rig that I would like to know is if there are a big difference in tying the point fly new zealand style onto the hook bend or tying it to the eye of the control fly?
    If I had to choose, I'd tie it to the bend of the control fly.

Quote Originally Posted by Dieter View Post
    Are circle hooks better or not?
    There are varied opinions on that:

http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/showt...t=to+circle+OR

http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/showt...t=circle+hooks

http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/showt...t=circle+hooks

etc etc etc

Do a search, you will find some interresting info.

For my money, circle hooks are great for control flies as they definately lessen snags on the bottom which is great if you're fishing Tungsten flies but you can accomplish the same with minor hook modification or knowing how your control fly behaves and at what depth it is moving.

(I like to tie my big control caddis #6 on circles, my smaller beaded and non beaded control flies are tied on normal scud hooks with zero modifcation)
    Last edited by Scythe; 28-01-08 at 12:51 PM.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

thank you scythe I will do some reading..