Thread: Fish weight calculator

Default Fish weight calculator

The calculator available on the following site is useful in determining the weight of your fish. All you need do is select the species and type in the length and the calculator determines the rest.
    http://www.ori.org.za/fishcalc.php
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

nice site Chris!! ... pity there is not something for freshwater fish .. I see a 50cm Kob weighs 1.17kg ... seems about right
    I always wanted to be somebody,but now I realize I should have been more specific.
    Alcohol is the anaesthesia by which we endure the operation of life. GBS

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
    nice site Chris!! ... pity there is not something for freshwater fish .. I see a 50cm Kob weighs 1.17kg ... seems about right
    ya...poached it from our Sealine friends
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    ya...poached it from our Sealine friends
    lots of really useful stuff in SEALINE!!!!
    I always wanted to be somebody,but now I realize I should have been more specific.
    Alcohol is the anaesthesia by which we endure the operation of life. GBS

Talking about Schoeman's old book 'Strike', he's got a formula there, can't remember it offhand but it's something like the length squared times girth at widest point divided by 800 gives the weight - all sounds far too complicated!
    I've got some lists at home of 'average' weight to length ratios of fish like brown trout, salmon, chub, pike and grayling, but obviously they all depend on the condition factor of the fish. All this b....maths!!!

In 'Strike' Schoeman reckons as a 'quick' guesstimate':

A squared x B divided by 800 - answer is in pounds.
    A = girth of fish at widest point in inches, and B = length of fish from point of mouth to what he calls the 'crotch' of the tail in a straight line...

Should be fun comparing this to actual figures with different species.

61cm is 24 inches give or take.

My old English reckoner from the 1800s estimates on average:
    A 24'' brown trout weighs 5 lb 15 oz = approx 2.7kg - using Schoeman's formula this guy's girth would be about 14''.
    A 24'' chub weighs 7lb 2oz = approx 3.24kg - on Schoeman's formula I reckon the chub's corresponding girth would be about 15.5''.
    A chub is a lot more thickset around the shoulders than the average trout so this would make sense

So your guys estimate of 2.8kg for a yellow is probably about spot-on on the other post

Came across this updated version complete with pictures of your fish which help with the identification. There is a fresh water tab but dont think its got a weight calculator just pictures for identification purposes. http://www.fishweights.co.za/index.aspx
    Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.

Henry David Thoreau