Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Thread: Split Cane Rod Kits

Quote Originally Posted by NeilRowe View Post
    Here's another useful site for Bamboo rod blanks. It also gives the newcomer to bamboo rods some insight into the differences between Hex, Quadrate and Penta cross sections.

http://farnorthrodsmiths.com/index.htm
    The quad information is very interesting
    http://farnorthrodsmiths.com/tapers_quad.htm
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Quote Originally Posted by dlampert View Post
    The quad information is very interesting
    http://farnorthrodsmiths.com/tapers_quad.htm
    Would you have understood it even if were there Lamehorse?

IT guys pretending to be engineers are always amusing!

Would you have understood it even if were there Lamehorse?

IT guys pretending to be engineers are always amusing!
    Ja Papa Smurf, at least us IT guys can read You may notice if you bothered to read my reply that I asked for advice and clarification on the pros and cons between quad and hex as opposed to googling and then not bothering to check if the links have any information relevant to the discussion
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Ja Papa Smurf, at least us IT guys can read You may notice if you bothered to read my reply that I asked for advice and clarification on the pros and cons between quad and hex as opposed to googling and then not bothering to check if the links have any information relevant to the discussion
    The site I provided the link to has nice little pictures of the cross sections of hex, quadrate and penta blanks. I thought this would be enough information for you as your selection criterion is usually "which one looks the prettiest in a photo"

The site I provided the link to has nice little pictures of the cross sections of hex, quadrate and penta blanks. I thought this would be enough information for you as your selection criterion is usually "which one looks the prettiest in a photo"
    That's rich coming from someone who wants to buy Figjams Sage 3200 because he doesn't like the look of his Kilwell Genesis ! In addition to that, us IT okes can read so we don't need little pictures !

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

That's rich coming from someone who wants to buy Figjams Sage 3200 because he doesn't like the look of his Kilwell Genesis ! In addition to that, us IT okes can read so we don't need little pictures !
    Reading and understanding are not necessarily related

Reading and understanding are not necessarily related
    You have proved that already so what is your point ?

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunF View Post
    Nice link that, thanks Neil!
    Here's another interesting link for those interested in bamboo rods

http://www.thomaspenrose.com/tonkin.htm

Quote Originally Posted by lekker trutta View Post
    Interesting Darryl, I've always considered what Struble call teh Superfine to be Western & what they label Western to be an unfinished Western :-) from those pics. Now to the great Hex vs Quad debat (and watch the debate this causes) I personnally think the Quad is superior to the Hex, JMHO, 3 reasons, 1: Less mass for the same action, making for a lighter & more reactive rod of the same corresponding design ( ie: Payne 97 Quad weighs less than Payne 97 Hex, & (IMHO) is more responsive) now before everyone jumps on the bandwagon here - this only holds true if the conversion is done correctly AND the difference can only truly be noticed if you cast both rods together (made from same culm, same fittings, same finish as a test 3 yrs ago)

2: Greater distribution of power fibres in the horizontal opposing flats. this gives the Quad greater directional stability I believe.

Now having said that, the pro's for the Hex are:
    1: Far easier to make
    2: no chances that your taper calculations will be incorrect (far too many programs out there today for you to do all the calculations for Hex with 0% error return
    3: they just look great.

so to sum up, it's really up to you.

Martin
    Hi Martin,

At this stage the quad is looking like the better option, especially due to the lower mass. I would however like to have a look at some of your pics first. I have PM'ed you my email address.

Regards,
    Darryl

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Hi Martin,

At this stage the quad is looking like the better option, especially due to the lower mass. I would however like to have a look at some of your pics first. I have PM'ed you my email address.

Regards,
    Darryl
    No worries Darryl, I will send them to you over the weekend.

Cheers Mate

Martin
    Caveat Lector - Listen to advice but think for yourself

There are 10 types of people in this world

those that understand binary and those that don't

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8