Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Thread: Strange Trout

Booger Rose Banned User

Looks like a juvenile rainbow.

Quote Originally Posted by firephish View Post
    looks like a rainbow trout ...
    I think it's because it IS a rainbow
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Hmmm...Disapointing. But thanks. Was hoping for something a little more exciting. Suppose I just want to save my ego but I dont remember having seen such bright orange on the bottom fins (pectoral, pelvic and anal) and such clear large patches along the lateral line in juvenile rainbows in KZN. Was hoping it was some different subspecies.

Is there any relationship between trout colouration and their environment? I have heard that bass do something like this.

Thanks.
    "Wilt thou then forget that on the banks of this delightful stream we stood together; and that I, so long a worshiper of Nature, hither came unwearied in that service"

William Wordsworth

Where in Malawi did you pick up this beauty?

Zomba Plateaux, North East of Blantyre. Apparently there used to be some decent size trout in there but I think the locals have depleted the larger fish. They were breeding quite happily though as there were tons of fingerlings but the largest I pulled out was in the 3/4 lb range. Either way a beautiful little stretch of cold stream to fish. Was planning to put together a little report back. Will do so and advise once its posted.
    "Wilt thou then forget that on the banks of this delightful stream we stood together; and that I, so long a worshiper of Nature, hither came unwearied in that service"

William Wordsworth

Quote Originally Posted by Tsumassa View Post
    Zomba Plateaux, North East of Blantyre. Apparently there used to be some decent size trout in there but I think the locals have depleted the larger fish. They were breeding quite happily though as there were tons of fingerlings but the largest I pulled out was in the 3/4 lb range. Either way a beautiful little stretch of cold stream to fish. Was planning to put together a little report back. Will do so and advise once its posted.
    I was in Zomba once, at a beautifull litle hotel at thae top of a mountain, but i did not know there be trout there! On a return visit, I will definately give it a bash. Please do the report with some info on whom to contact to get on to the water.

Will do. The hotel is one of the Sunbird chains - Ku Chawe. There's probably about 3-4km of stream above the dam which is fishable. Towards the top is the old trout farm which hardly had any trout in it when I was last there. The easiest approach is simply to pop in and visit the forestry office and pay them for a fishing permit. They will try and get you to pay an annual subscription fee but I have found that with a bit of strong negotiation you can get the annual cost and reduce it to a day fee. There seems to be some contension between the forestry office, water department and local fishermen as to who owns the stream, but either way the forestry office can legitimately issue a permit. I found a youngster who knew the stream quite well and paid him a couple of hundred quacha to just sort of hang around. After a while i showed him how to use my camera and he turned out some great pics. Well worth the value.

Whatever you do, dont ask the reception desk at the hotel to find you a guide. They will charge you 3000 MKW and pay the bloke who takes you around 500. At the bottom end of the stream strech is the dam. They have banned all fishing in the dam as it supplies Zomba with drinking water. I spent some time walking aorund and chatting to the local guys who fish it at night with nets when they get a chance and apparently there are some monster trout in there.

I was really keen to get to get access to the dam so tried everything short of poaching it or bribing anyone. Had a meeting with Forestry and Water department to try and see if they would open it up for catch and release fly fishing only to try and bring in more tourists (which is there staple income in Zomba). The long and short of it was that they were not keen, but I'll keep trying whenever I am up there.

Its not really my thing at all, but there were a couple of other smaller dams up there which I threw a line for some bass. Almost caught them cast for cast but they were all rather small and I found the whole thing quite unexciting. Either way one of the most beautiful and unique settings I've fished in my short 24 years of flicking little flies.

Report to follow when I get my bum into gear. Where's the best place to post it I wonder?

William Wordsworth

Wow, thanks for the reply! Sounds great, we have a factory in Blantyre and I have to visit every now and then. Now I know where I will be spending some time the next time I'm up there.

With regard to the report, start a new thread under hunting trout?

Quote Originally Posted by Tsumassa View Post
    Ah - the Mulunguzi (I am sure that is spelt incorrectly, but anyhow).

Lovely little stream - I fished it in 1998. Used to have a trout hatchery on it too.
    Never fished the dam on Zomba- should hold bigger fish.

Gary
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7