Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Freshwater Fly Swap - March 2008

From the terrestrials book I mentioned in my beadhead ant thread, here are the main ones that you could tie:

Coleoptera - Beetles (A Ladybug would be an interesting tie to see)
    Hymenoptera - Ants, wasps, Bees
    Orthoptera - Hoppers and Crickets

You can tie sinking or floating versions of these - both are effective.
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Quote Originally Posted by gkieser View Post
    From the terrestrials book I mentioned in my beadhead ant thread, here are the main ones that you could tie:

Coleoptera - Beetles (A Ladybug would be an interesting tie to see)
    Hymenoptera - Ants, wasps, Bees
    Orthoptera - Hoppers and Crickets

You can tie sinking or floating versions of these - both are effective.
    Cool thanx,I actually bought the book today.

G

Twogreat books I humbly reckon locals should get on entomology are:

'Aquatic Guide To Invertebrates of South Africa' published by Gerber and the DWAF guys - again, my heavily annotated copy was pinched last November... Great for all pupae, larvae, shrimps, leeches, crabs and anything else ghastly enough to inhabit our waters..Not great on adults of flying flies, but it does specify 'aquatic'. This book really serves to show how we have two almost distinct sets of insects, a whole load down in the Western Cape -especially cased caddis.. - and a whole load different elsewhere. FFU and Fishing Owl used to stock this, but when I asked both for a replacement book they've both gone suspiciously quiet..

'Field Guide To Insects Of South Africa' - Picker et al. - Struik - you can get this in CNA and other regular bookshops. A great general book with great pics also for terrestrials. This also shows you what OUR insect families/species look like, not the Yanks or the Poms! Great pics on mayfly nymphs and adults for beginners. NB Baetidae pages 26/27 flies 3 and 3A you Vaalies! Page 29 has a pic ofthe Jewel damsel I think Gerrit was asking about the other day.

I've a few copies of old Skaife's 'African Insect Life' but this is a bit technical and being an old book doesn't really have good pics to interest our Bright Young Things. Besides which I don't think I'm yet forgiven by their clan for an incident with a young female descendant of his shortly after my arrival in South Africa in and around their billiard room..

Quote Originally Posted by chris williams View Post
    Twogreat books I humbly reckon locals should get on entomology are:

'Aquatic Guide To Invertebrates of South Africa' published by Gerber and the DWAF guys - again, my heavily annotated copy was pinched last November... Great for all pupae, larvae, shrimps, leeches, crabs and anything else ghastly enough to inhabit our waters..Not great on adults of flying flies, but it does specify 'aquatic'. This book really serves to show how we have two almost distinct sets of insects, a whole load down in the Western Cape -especially cased caddis.. - and a whole load different elsewhere. FFU and Fishing Owl used to stock this, but when I asked both for a replacement book they've both gone suspiciously quiet..

'Field Guide To Insects Of South Africa' - Picker et al. - Struik - you can get this in CNA and other regular bookshops. A great general book with great pics also for terrestrials. This also shows you what OUR insect families/species look like, not the Yanks or the Poms! Great pics on mayfly nymphs and adults for beginners. NB Baetidae pages 26/27 flies 3 and 3A you Vaalies! Page 29 has a pic ofthe Jewel damsel I think Gerrit was asking about the other day.

I've a few copies of old Skaife's 'African Insect Life' but this is a bit technical and being an old book doesn't really have good pics to interest our Bright Young Things. Besides which I don't think I'm yet forgiven by their clan for an incident with a young female descendant of his shortly after my arrival in South Africa in and around their billiard room..
    Howdi Chris,

The 1st book mentioned can be bought at Netbooks.It is a great little book but if u really really into entomology it is a bit lacking.

Like my caddis I explained earlier,I could not find it in there looking at my found specie's traits.

Later
    G
    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 09-02-08 at 01:08 PM.

COuld someone post some generic paterns? Some links to it? I yet have to see if I can muster the courage to tie something I never used before....
    :P

Count me in...

Wiets Banned User

Participants

gerrit
    Herman Jooste
    Troep
    pellieg
    Kreef
    Pheasant Tail Nymph
    rory
    Hackle

For now, flies to be tied = 9

Wiets Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by MyWorld View Post
    COuld someone post some generic paterns? Some links to it? I yet have to see if I can muster the courage to tie something I never used before....
    :P
    Hi JJ

Here are a couple of links I have;

FlyTyingForum.com 1000's of patterns - look for terrestrial through the webpages.

Flytier's website - several thousand more, look through the webpages.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiets View Post
    Participants

gerrit
    Herman Jooste
    Troep
    pellieg
    Kreef
    Pheasant Tail Nymph
    rory
    Hackle

For now, flies to be tied = 9
    Wiets, your name is very inconspiquous ( damn I hope I got that right, at this stage of the eve ) by it's absence.
    Come on boet, by entering you will get 2 flys from each participant,
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Wiets Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Jooste View Post
    Wiets, your name is very inconspiquous ( damn I hope I got that right, at this stage of the eve ) by it's absence.
    Come on boet, by entering you will get 2 flys from each participant,
    My issue is time with lots of trips this month!
    But let's give it a go.

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.