Thread: Mayfly nymph

Default Mayfly nymph

I tied this to match the shape and colour of a mayfly nymph. It's basicaly a #16 Grip Nymph (with a 2.5mm tunksten bead) with 3 squirrel hairs as the tail. Then ty in some light brown vinyl rib. Spin the vinyl rib to the front and ty off 3-4mm before the bead. Ty in some holographic film for the wing case. Dub the 3-4mm with natural hears ear dubbing. Take the holographic film over the dubbing and ty off behind the bead. Use a needle and "teaze" some hairs out for legs.
    I tried to keep the body shape as natural as possible (without any oversized thoraxes).
    Last edited by C J; 20-08-09 at 04:33 PM.

What do you think gents....any comments?

Very juicy and realistic looking CJ. I would tie the tail shorter, but that's just me.

Nice one CJ,

I would use a 2mm bead for proportions though.
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

I've seen a similar pattern tied by Shayne Stalcup.(Baetis)

He uses d-rib though.Much thinner diameter.Patridge for legs & tail,medallion sheeting for wingcase.

G

CJ, good fly, others' comments relevant. For fishing purposes why not tie a handful of shoddy slim PTN's in the same amount of time it'll take you to tie one of your beauties? Also being less weighted if trailing the 'bomb' fly the PTNs will be less likely to snag up on Meneer Rock in the Vaal and thus less tears..

Incidentally his grandson has some cine camera clip now on video on his granddad Frank tying the original PTN of his invention. Gimme a shout if you want a copy? I don't think it's ethical to broadcast it.

Quote Originally Posted by chris williams View Post
    CJ, good fly, others' comments relevant. For fishing purposes why not tie a handful of shoddy slim PTN's in the same amount of time it'll take you to tie one of your beauties? Also being less weighted if trailing the 'bomb' fly the PTNs will be less likely to snag up on Meneer Rock in the Vaal and thus less tears..

Incidentally his grandson has some cine camera clip now on video on his granddad Frank tying the original PTN of his invention. Gimme a shout if you want a copy? I don't think it's ethical to broadcast it.
    May I have a copy?

G

Yeah will send it Monday

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by gerrit View Post
    May I have a copy?

G
    PS PM me your e-mail address?

Cheers