Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The Atlantic Salmon Reserve: Fly-fishing Russia's Kola Peninsula

Hi Herman

We usually begin the season with a double-handed 10/11 15 footer. A longer rod facilitates line control and fishing ergonomics. Some people do use single handed rods but they usually find it exhausting work. By mid-July I generally use a 9 ft 8 weight for dry fly fishing and a 12 ft double handed rod for the heavier flies and longer casts.

Its all boils down to what you are used to using but there is a great deal of controversy over which rod has more fish turning power. I'm not talking about a specific rod or brand of rod for that matter but the double handers vs. single handers equation. In my opinion you cannot beat a double handed rod for turning power and there is no doubt that a double hander has a lot more leverage which is precisely why some of the heavier saltwater boat fly-rods have a double grip and an extended butt. Many Anglers from across the 'pond' would beg to differ. I certainly wouldn't like to hook a 40lb + Atlantic on a single handed rod, it just wouldn't be fair to the fish! I few seasons past, an Italian guest played a fish for over 2 hours and lost it. Speaking to him afterwards, he vowed never to use a single handed rod for Salar during the spring weeks ever again!
    Last edited by boerie; 11-02-08 at 10:34 AM.
    Piscator Non Solum Piscator

Fantastic post and epic pics ! Thanks for sharing, and welcome to the site !

Thanks Shaun - hope to continue contributing.

Cheers
    Piscator Non Solum Piscator

HI YURI,

Nice atlantic salmon you submitted in Flytalk home. 10 pounder in that water must have been a rev.

Dave
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Quote Originally Posted by poppernel View Post
    HI YURI,

Nice atlantic salmon you submitted in Flytalk home. 10 pounder in that water must have been a rev.

Dave
    See it was caught on a Munroe Killer, how about a pic of this fly.

Dave
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

WHAU, it looks awesome.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    WHAU, it looks awesome.
    HI Korrie,

It sure does. Was trying to get Boerie to respond as he stated he would like to contribute more. Maybe a S.B.S. of that Munroe Killer. Otherwise will have to google it.

Dave

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2