Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: temperature of the water on the streams

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Cox View Post
    Yesterday Paarl reached 46 degrees at one of the official monitoring stations- in cases like this I dont think the CPS has to impose an outright ban because a) Nobody in their right mind would (should?) go hiking through a valley in temperatures like that; and
    b) good luck catching a trout that is being slowly boiled to death.

You would probably catch SM Bass for a while and then I reckon they would also go off the bite when the water warms up too much.

The chances are really small that one would find feeding trout in those temps..
    thanks Kev
    the patient mental...

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Cox View Post
    Yesterday Paarl reached 46 degrees at one of the official monitoring stations- in cases like this I dont think the CPS has to impose an outright ban because a) Nobody in their right mind would (should?) go hiking through a valley in temperatures like that; and
    b) good luck catching a trout that is being slowly boiled to death.

You would probably catch SM Bass for a while and then I reckon they would also go off the bite when the water warms up too much.

The chances are really small that one would find feeding trout in those temps..
    I couldnt agree more
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

I monitor the weather and on extremely hot days I go in early (before 06:00) and leave before the heat sets in (10:30).

Quote Originally Posted by Rendier View Post
    I monitor the weather and on extremely hot days I go in early (before 06:00) and leave before the heat sets in (10:30).
    i figured that if people were to fish on high heat days, then they'd need to get out early. but on a day where temps exceed 40 deg C, surely it'd be better to just forget the whole thing instead?
    the patient mental...

Quote Originally Posted by dpammenter View Post
    i figured that if people were to fish on high heat days, then they'd need to get out early. but on a day where temps exceed 40 deg C, surely it'd be better to just forget the whole thing instead?
    Yes, fortunately we are blessed with sea in the Cape, which opens up the fishing options. Only a foolish man will go and target trout in the kloofs on the hottest days. Personally I dont think you are a fishermans @rse if you are so blinkered as to only ever want to target trout. Spread your wings man!
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    Yes, fortunately we are blessed with sea in the Cape, which opens up the fishing options. Only a foolish man will go and target trout in the kloofs on the hottest days. Personally I dont think you are a fishermans @rse if you are so blinkered as to only ever want to target trout. Spread your wings man!
    agreed - you are very lucky to have the sea there. it's the one thing i do miss since i moved up here
    the patient mental...

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    Only a foolish man will go and target trout in the kloofs on the hottest days. Personally I dont think you are a fishermans @rse if you are so blinkered as to only ever want to target trout.
    So what you're saying is that newbies should stay away from streams until May?

I wouldn't say stay away completely, but pick your days carefully. The temperatures as they are today for example are an absolute no no for the streams. Rather focus on the salt on days like this.

Thanks Chris. Now to get hold of that 9wt I've been eyeing...

Another thing to remeber about the streams at this time of year, is that due to the high water temperatures, the water holds less oxygen. Even in the early mornings when the water is a bit cooler and the fish are eating, they still suffer from the effects of general oxygen depletion in the water. Even if a fish is released correctly, there is a increase in stress from the build up of lactic acid, which dramatically raises the risk of the fish dying within a few hours of release.
    My advice is to rather fish the Holsloot where the water stays a lot cooler due to the tail water from the dam that constantly feeds the river. Sure, the Hollies is more difficult to fish, but a few sessions there, will improve your stream skill. If you can do well on the Hollies, believe me, you will absolutely cane the others come the cooler weather.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3