Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Langebaan Lagoon

Default Langebaan Lagoon

I read in Sean Mills' article about the fishing in Langebaan - I also posted about this before but Sean you never made any comments then. Have you (or anyone else) ever had any success there? it sounds like it...
    cheers

Hi there!

I have fished Langabaan, mostly at klub Mikenos (how do yuo spell that?)
    caught sandsharks, klip fish, gobies and maasbunker.

Not an expert on the area though.

Regards

Sean Mills

well, get your act together, get out there and report back asap. Ja like I mentioned previously I battled with the stumpnose on fly (small white and cream charley) while bunches were coming out on bait. eventually I caved and put a prawn on and also started having some fun. The do provide great fun on fly-tackle though, I must say. Next time I waill try white/chart or white/olive clousers with different retrieves. The heavy currents also make things difficult.
    Cheers
    Willie

Smile

Organize me some sponsorship so that I can fish 7 days a week and Ill give you as many report backs as you want, unfortunately, so much water, so little time!

To my knowledge, Langebaan fishes at its best when the South Easter is pumping, the harder it blows, the better the fishing! Not the greatest thing for the fly fisherman!

I believe Langebaan holds some untapped potential. Dealing with strong currents - Di7 lines and access to a boat is probably the way to go. Not talking about sandsharks.

It might also be a good idea to cover water with bait/chum or trolling/spinning just to locate fish in this vast expanse of water. From what I've heard Jan-Apr. is the better months. This is a spot where local knowledge will be worth its weight in gold.

Default langebaan

i have tried unsuccessfully off a boat at langebaan.but that was with an intermediate line.i reckon if you can get your fly right down to the bottom,you will catch the stumpies.there are elf(big ones)kob and ive seen decent size yellowtail caught on bait come out already.but as discussed the problem is finding the fish first.i will be trying for the stumpies this season with my new di7 line,so ill let you guys know if i have any success.

Default Langebaan

I have lived in Langebaan for 8 years, and the WIND is a big damper on any FF.

I have landed Blactails, Sardine, Maasbanker, sand sharks, and Elf on fly. The big problem is locating the fish, and the current while the tide is changes, is very strong, even a DI7 does not work all the time.

Best time is from end of Feb into May, depending on the weather. In this time the wind dies down some days. In this time conventional fishers may chum a shoal of elf around a boat in the evening, this will be the best time to target them on fly. Avg. size from 2 – 8 kg.

I usually drift with the boat instead of anchoring on one spot. I have had most of my success in this way, not on fly though.

Fish available: Stomp nose, Yellowtail, Elf, Cob, Steenbras, Blactails, Leervis.

Default Tcff

Hey chaps,

I see in this month's TCFF there is a write up on catching the sandsharks in the Langebaan lagoon. I was wondering how much success people have had their in general and how people have tried catching species other than sandsharks.. Was wondering how shrimp patterns or pinkish crazy charlies might work in the flatter sections? Are there specific areas one is only allowed to fish in the lagoon?
    Fly fishing, fly tying & rod building.....

http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=2531

Quote Originally Posted by will101 View Post
    I read in Sean Mills' article about the fishing in Langebaan - I also posted about this before but Sean you never made any comments then. Have you (or anyone else) ever had any success there? it sounds like it...
    cheers
    Willie, praat met my, dalk kan ek jou help!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast