Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Would you notice the difference???

Default Would you notice the difference???

Ok i decided not to name brands in this thread but rather just keep it to prices.

Do you think if i gave you 2 rods, one that was around R1000 and the other around R3000. Both are same length,line wt,speed ect but neither of them had any branding that you would be able to tell which was the more expensive rod???
    The closer one gets to realizing his destiny, the more that destiny becomes his true reason for being! Paulo Coelho

I think so, the more expensive rod would be made from higher grade components, not so ?
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

I can barely tell you what day it is...

Sorry, obviously you would have to cast both rods!
    The closer one gets to realizing his destiny, the more that destiny becomes his true reason for being! Paulo Coelho

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    I think so, the more expensive rod would be made from higher grade components, not so ?
    Sorry i didnt explain clearly!

You would do nothing but cast both rods!

You should be able to tell just by looking at them.

Most of the higher priced rods use a higher content of modules in their graphite.

Most also have a sort of "branded" blank even with no logos or anything
    Daryl Human

The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

Quote Originally Posted by Umhlangarox View Post
    Ok i decided not to name brands in this thread but rather just keep it to prices.

Do you think if i gave you 2 rods, one that was around R1000 and the other around R3000. Both are same length,line wt,speed ect but neither of them had any branding that you would be able to tell which was the more expensive rod???
    Interesting question...if they had the same components too, I think you would not tell the difference.

They had a shootout a few years back in the States, with ten rods being tested, they ranged from Sage right down to some cheap models. They put masking tape over the rod brands and names, and proceeded to load each rod with the same reels and fly lines.
    Each rod was cast in different scenorio's (tight, long casts, roll casts, tuck casts, etc etc) by about 20 different anglers, all very proficient casters (and independant fly fishers of course).

The results were quite astounding. Some of the high-end rods were beaten hands down by some of the "cheaper" rods. I maintain, most expensive is not always best.

It's like beer...take a very knowledgable beer drinker, blind-fold him and give him 20 different beers to taste. You really think he is going to distinguish between all of them? I don't...he may get a few right, but that's it. I've seen this happen at wine tasting evenings.

Quote Originally Posted by dizzy View Post
    You should be able to tell just by looking at them.

Most of the higher priced rods use a higher content of modules in their graphite.

Most also have a sort of "branded" blank even with no logos or anything
    Without looking,feeling or touching the rods!

Just simply picking them up and casting them!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Interesting question...if they had the same components too, I think you would not tell the difference.

They had a shootout a few years back in the States, with ten rods being tested, they ranged from Sage right down to some cheap models. They put masking tape over the rod brands and names, and proceeded to load each rod with the same reels and fly lines.
    Each rod was cast in different scenorio's (tight, long casts, roll casts, tuck casts, etc etc) by about 20 different anglers, all very proficient casters (and independant fly fishers of course).

The results were quite astounding. Some of the high-end rods were beaten hands down by some of the "cheaper" rods. I maintain, most expensive is not always best.

It's like beer...take a very knowledgable beer drinker, blind-fold him and give him 20 different beers to taste. You really think he is going to distinguish between all of them? I don't...he may get a few right, but that's it. I've seen this happen at wine tasting evenings.
    Ya the beer thing that you mentioned is very relevant.

I have seen a big beer drinker blind folded and handed 5 beers to taste and he got 1 right out of five. IMHO its all in the mind!

I've seen a person have one glass of Cane, and then for the rest of the night water, and still get p|$$3d
    Daryl Human

The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast