Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Striped mullet

Default Striped mullet

Guys i picked up an article on the net and this was one of the paragraphs,"In no time competitors were wading out to the banks, sliding baits, hoping for big Bronze Whalers, but most anglers stuck to the "catch what's biting" rule and kept the scoreboard ticking with fish like Elf, big Striped Mullet and Kob up to 6 kg. The full article is here. http://www.news24.com/Regional_Paper...3593~E,00.htmlI am really interested in hearing that there may be striped mullet so close to home. Can anybody tell me if this fish is common along that coastline. Has anyone ever seen or caught one in this water by fly bait or even dynomite
    I have only ever seen them in places like De Mond, Knysna, etc. I have never heard of them being so far down south. Maybe I need to get out to the beach with a big nasty bag of stinky chum and see if it attracts the stripies...(BLASPHEMY). I know this coastline is packed with southern mullet.....BUT STIPED MULLET!!!. Mullet are my favourite fish to catch so this i good news for me.

Cheers
    Jason

Jason - what is you favorite fly to use for them - as well as the size? Also - have you caught both species on fly? I am very keen to get into some mullets - they are all over the place and I am sure that they could be awesome fun on a light rod.
    Cheers,
    Cornelis
    Never mistake knowledge for wisdom.

To tell you the truth I cheat big time with mullet. I chum with bread and use a bread fly. Sometimes I do the completely unthinkable and throw anchove oil into the water!!!!! LET THE FLAMING BEGIN!!!!! This is in no way flyfishing. Yes you use a fly rod and a fly...but that's as far as it goes. Many out there refer to this as fly-rodding for mullet. This sits well with me. Anyways there is a good read about techniques and tackle over here...http://www.flytalk.co.za/readArticle.php?p_id=5very informative. I have caught plenty southern mullet but no striped mullet. I was however with the auther of the above article when he landed one of about 1.5kgs on his six weight and this this put a hell of a bend in his rod. Hope this helps.

Please excuse the ignorance. Is a mullet the same fish they call "harders" in the Hermanus area???

P.S. I've seen monster mullet just behind the white water, against the banks in the Blue Lagoon in Durbs. Next time I'm down that way I,m a gonna give em a go. Chartreuse "algea" fly on a # 6,
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Jooste View Post
    Please excuse the ignorance. Is a mullet the same fish they call "harders" in the Hermanus area???

P.S. I've seen monster mullet just behind the white water, against the banks in the Blue Lagoon in Durbs. Next time I'm down that way I,m a gonna give em a go. Chartreuse "algea" fly on a # 6,
    Yuppo. Thats them. The most common one, the southern mullet is known as the harder. The upgraded version comes with lights grey stripes and a blue ting to the tail fin and this is the striped mullet. Durban should have plenty of them all year around. Once these bad boys key in on bread chum they attack a bread fly as if they have'nt eaten in a month..... and then it's on like donky kong.

Sounds like fun.
    Better than sitting in a B & B getting p&ssed 'cos there's nothing else to do,
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Mullet make for good fun, I tackled one of around 3Kgs on a stock standard clouser, good pull but no contest on a 7WT TiCr-X with 20lb tippet.

Find the leeries instead, 1Kg Leerie over 3Kg mullet ... any day.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    Mullet make for good fun, I tackled one of around 3Kgs on a stock standard clouser, good pull but no contest on a 7WT TiCr-X with 20lb tippet.

Find the leeries instead, 1Kg Leerie over 3Kg mullet ... any day.
    True True...I would take the leerie any day. The thing is all about the ratio though. That 1kg leerie is chasing about 50 mullet...if a don't get him and he has had his fill of mullet, I still have good fishing too look forward too There were not many replies to this post so maybe no one has seen any stripies on our coast. Maybe I should speak to the hardcore rock and surf guys and get their take on things.

http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/attac...1&d=1203325121
    small_mullet.jpg

Now this is what I am talking about

I will pee my pants to land one of these bad boys, I would no pee in my waders though

If you can consistently find mullet of that size, ofcourse it's a good option.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast